bit rate and video quality

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rdsii64, Jul 4, 2011.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

If my understanding is correct, higher quality video has a higher bit rate than lower quality video of the same format. The down side is that higher bit rates mean larger file sizes. If I am correct, what DVD authoring applications will allow you to control the bit rate. My goal is to create the highest quality dvd possible for playback on a set top dvd player.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects / Media Encoder let you control bit rate. You can make it take up an entire disc if you want.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

4. mcpix macrumors regular

When creating DVDs you also have to be careful your bit rate isn't too high.
    The maximum for the video on a DVD is 9.8 Mb/s, but I've found that DVDs over 8.5 Mb/s may not play back in some players. Usually a bit rate between 6-8Mb/s will give good quality and playback in most machines.

5. fpnc macrumors 68000

Apple's new Compressor v4 allows you to control bitrate for MPEG-2 elementary streams (i.e. for DVD disc creation). It also offers Dolby digital audio. Thus, if you're mainly interested in compression for DVDs then Apple's Compressor application at only $50 is a pretty good deal.

However, it really doesn't offer much in the area of DVD authoring (i.e. custom menus and navigation). You can create a basic DVD with a title screen and chapter selection but that is about all it can do as far as burning a finished disc (as far as I can tell, but I haven't researched it extensively, there may be more support for custom disc creation than I know about). You can download the Compressor v4 User Manual from Apple's website it you want to see what it can do.