Bit the Bullet 3 Times... Was I right in doing so?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrChip, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. MrChip macrumors newbie

    Feb 19, 2010
    Canadas Arctic
    Hey all I am new to the forum and the Mac world.

    Long story short I was parusing the Apple Store online for over 2 months contemplating whether to by into a Mac system or not.

    Bullet #1-Finally I cracked and thought why not go for a refurbished unit. So I found the perfect 24" model and ordered it.

    Bullet #2-Then I got looking at the 27" model and noticed the 3.06 model was only a couople hundred dollars more than the refurbished, so I ordered it in place of the 24" refurbished unit and cancelled the 24" inch order.

    Bullet #3-Well today after waiting a couple of weeks and having my 3.06Ghz unit delayed... I started looking at the i5 with a 512 Meg Vid Card. Thinking to myself the DuoCore processor is old and the i5 being new it would be smart to get it. That and my PC that I built 2 years for less had a Quad Core processor in it and having the Duo Core Mac felt like a tep back sort of. So I calle dApple tonight cancelled to 3.06 Ghz system and ordered the i5.

    I plan on doing mainly audio recording with Cubase and some video editing with this it. Plus figured the life cycle of the i5 will last longer the that of the Duo Core.

    Was I right in my decision making to get the new i5 rahter than the Duo Core? Am i going to really notice a difference?

    Suggestions are apreciated.


  2. cerote macrumors 6502a


    Mar 2, 2009
    If you can afford it you made a good choice. The i5 will stand longer than the Duo Core. It should also hold a higher resale value since it is "newer" technology. I think you made the right choice and like I said if you can afford it then why not. I did the same thing when thinking about getting the iMac. I started at the lower end. Then I was like why not go to 27in for a little bit more. Then I was like why not a little bit more and I could get the i5. I thought about getting the i7 but it wasn't sold in the stores so I thought I would be fine with the i5.
  3. TSX macrumors 68030


    Oct 1, 2008
    Now all you got left to do is cancel the i5 and order the i7. lol
  4. MrChip thread starter macrumors newbie

    Feb 19, 2010
    Canadas Arctic
    Nah! I don't think I want to do that. Seeing as this is my first Mac computer> I am sure that I will love it when it arrives. As for affording it that's iffy but the credit card came in handy for that.

    The only thing that has me worried is all the bad publicity you see on the forum about flickering and yellow screens.

    I live in a rermote part of Canadas north and the closest Apple store in a 2.5 Hour flight to Ottawa, Ontario. Shipping in the north moves slower than it would if I lived in the south. But I guess thats the breaks there for me and should be expected.

    I hope I get a flawless iMac.
  5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040


    Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    You did the right thing. An i5-based iMac will provide you with a longer usable life as compared to a C2D version.

Share This Page