Bit the Bullet and BOUGHT the rmb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nychot, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Having read all the reviews from Day One, having been on and off this forum, having played with the rmb a number of times at the apple store and at best buy, I finally bit the bullet today and bought the base model in gold from the eBay store selling them new for $1149, no tax, free shipping. Almost 200 had been sold at the time I bought and the sale was nearing its end, or stock was running out, so I figured I'd finally dive in. At that price I'm sure if I need to I can easily resell it down the road for close or what I paid. While I have a 2014 MBA base 11" (and other non-retina macs), I really went for this because of the retina screen as my eyes are getting bad. Also I liked the size and weight even though the size and weight is not that much different from my mba. On the forum, I've been critical of the rmb at times, mainly regarding price (too expensive) and the one port. But I sw the $1149 and no tax and quick free delivery as kind of a no brainer, at least for now. I've also ordered at very low prices from amazon, a dongle with three usb 3.0 ports that I'll rarely need, a slip case that folds into a stand for easier typing (WORD), and a clear case to protect it that still shows the gold but won't permit any chips or scratches, all for a grand total of $35. I assume I'll ask get some kind of insurance, either apple care or maybe square trade that covers screen breakage. I assume applecare still does NOT cover screen breakage, or am I wrong? What should I look and check for when it arrives, any special startup instructions, etc? and I assume it'll update to the latest Yosemite. So that's the story. I've joined the cult.

2. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I'm right there with ya. I ordered the 1.3/512 model to replace my iPad Air. The longer I've had my iPad the more and more I realized I really need an ultra-portable laptop that can do light "real" multitasking, run the full version of Office, and run a fully-functional email client. Office for iPad, whiile decent for what it is, just isn't cutting it, and the iPad's multitasking, while functional, gets pretty cumbersome if you try to use it for any length of time. I think I'll miss the iPad's touchscreen a little bit for websurfing but I'll adjust. And the fact the MacBook doesn't have built-in LTE is silly but I can just tether it to my iPhone so that's really a non-issue.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the MacBook. I know Skylake is likely coming later this year or early next but for my use case it shouldn't matter.