Bit the bullet, picked up the Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by AuroraProject, Feb 1, 2011.

1. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

So my iPhone 4 is about 4 months old and today while cleaning it I discovered many hairline scratches on both sides. They are very hard to see, but I'm kinda ocd about stuff, my old 3G had a 1/4" scratch on the screen that you could feel with a fingernail and it drove me nuts! Anyway, I decided it was time for the Otterbox Defender. My hands get very dirty at work, and I rarely take the time to clean them before using the phone, so I wanted something that will keep all of the glass protected.
    First impression is good, I have large hands, so the added bulk feels fine to me. I like the extra grip. The screen membrane is good, no watermarking, but it has a slight grain that can be seen, oh well. I got black on black, and it's a lint/dust magnet. The holster is not so great, I'll try it for a week, but I have a feeling the phone will just end up in my pocket.
    While I was in the at&t store the sales guy also showed me one I have never seen before. It was blue plastic with black silicone. I've seen plenty of the black plastic with blue silicone, but never the other way around.
    I wont post any pics, as you've all seen it before. I think I'm done with cases for awhile (finally!), but the blue plastic one has me thinking. ;)

2. Zepaw, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I tried a defender but it was way overkill for me and I returned it a couple days later.

3. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

The Defender is a nice case. It was the first case I purchased and I was impressed with the quality. I ended up returning as I found it to be bulky for my needs.

4. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Same here, that's why I like the Commuter.

5. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

my commuter bit the dust after two months of use, i got the early model so it could be changed up now. me and a friend both dropped our cases and the plastic back piece cracked and eventually broke, not the quality from otterbox i have had on my other devices. but they are actually sending me two cases now because mine was such a factory mishap they said.

6. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

At least it was the case and not the phone. :)

7. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

i hear ya on that one, always better to have a broken 30 dollar case than a iphone.

8. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

Yep, have seen videos on how easy the glass is to crack, have to keep it protected.

9. psyduckiee macrumors regular

I've grown to love my Defender for my iPhone 4 and you will as well. Haha. I constantly find reasons to get myself to take the case off but I end up putting it back on after a few hours of using it bare. I admit, the case is bulky and I DO miss the slimness of the phone but I have grown use to the thickness of the Defender and feels comfortable in my hands. The only downside I can say is it sticks in the pockets but you get use to that as well.

10. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a Defender and had it for about 6 months. I don't use it all the time, but when I need something with more protection, it's ready and waiting. It has not failed me yet! It's just not an everyday 24/7 type of case but it serves a purpose.

11. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

So after a couple days here's some thoughts. I don't mind the bulk at all, and the holster/clip thing has grown on me. I don't like the amount of dust that collects in the front camera and proximity sensor cutouts, have to clean that with a qtip pretty much every day. Also it seems like the plastic has a loose fit to the phone, the whole thing creaks a lot in the hand, wondering if a back film would tighten it up a bit. The screen cover gets a rainbow effect randomly, no biggie. It does stick in the pocket, and turns the pocket out every time i remove it. Overall a solid choice for top notch protection of the phone. I would recommend this case for extreme protection.

12. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Since you don't seem to mind the bulk all that much. You might wanna try out the Seidio Rugged. Personally I think it puts the Defender to shame plus it has port covers just about everywhere to keep out the dust.

13. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Shoot customerservice@otterbox.com an email with a pic of your OB and your name & date on a piece of paper and let them know that it creaks. They will send you a brand new one very quickly.

14. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I checked out both the Defender and Commuter. Truth be told, the Defender is one heck of a case. But I went with the Commuter... just better for my needs.

15. iamartimus macrumors 6502

My Defender used to creak, but I put a faux carbon fiber back on it, and now when I do use it, no creak. So yes, a back film will or should remove the creak.

16. weisjt macrumors 6502a

weisjt

otter box is very good about replacing stuff like that, just shoot them a email