Bit torrent crashes airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gizmo8500, Oct 9, 2007.

1. gizmo8500 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am currently on my 3rd airport extreme, but the first one was just sold and replaced to upgrade to gigabit. However the second is because Apple sent me a new one. The reason for this is it was continuously crashing and we couldn't figure out why. When I got the new one it didn't take long for it to start crashing too, which is what made me consider everything that was common between the two airports that could cause both to crash and I think I have found it. Its bit torrent. The airport will work perfectly all day long, but if I launch Azureus and start downloading, and I'm only connecting to maybe 4 peers at a time and at about 30kb/sec, the airport will crash within 40 minuets with almost 100 percent certainty. I am curious as to how many people may be able to narrow down their airport crashes to the running of bit torrent.

Note: My airport is the most recent (gigabit) with the latest firmware.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It might be a problem with the number of global connection. Does this happen with all clients?

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

I used to NOT have this problem (and swear by Airport Extremes as being the most reliable router I've used in the last 8 years), but ever since I've upgraded from the original firmware, I've had torrent related issues.

First the NAT-PMP stopped working, so I had to set up DHCP reservations and map everyone's ports.

Then an upgrade or two later, I have the same problem you do. Every hour or so whenever someone's torrenting, the Extreme reboots. Everyone is running Azureus at its default settings, and that hasn't changed over the year.

I have the original Extreme, FWIW.

I run two wifi networks (one b/g, one n-only), so I've been able to hook my old UFO Extreme into the cable modem and hang the new Extreme off of that (in bridge mode). Running that way has stopped the new Extreme from rebooting all of the time.

4. gizmo8500 thread starter macrumors newbie

I find the suggestion of the global connections interesting. I think I set it very high for use on the university network, so I will try and lower that and see if that affects it either tonight or tomorrow.

5. Mistwalker macrumors newbie

I used transmission for a few hours without any hangups. But since yesterday my AEBS has been crashing all the time when using high bandwidths. Like copying filesö. The strange thing is that everything worked fine until yesterday.

Maybe it's the heat? I recently put my router standing instead of lying. I hope this helps. Already had a hangup thou...

6. zoombronco macrumors newbie