Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovehaight77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2014
I have just got fibre and it's constantly stopping my connection. I run a lot of bittorrents (Transmission)and my network utility has 20-30 connections. My provider is sky and they says its a problem for apple. When the connection goes dead (browser) the bit torrents still run. Questions-is there a way to run both bit torrent and the browser? and is there way to limit the connections on my utilitys? Thank you
osx10.6.8
mac pro

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Are you getting the grey screen, which tells you Safari cannot connect to server?

If so, it is not an issue with your connection, it's Apple's poor coding of Safari. You will still be connected to the internet. Would suggest you download an alternative browser.

Happens an awful lot, even when not doing anything else, Safari will stop comminucating with everything else.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Go into your sky router settings via a web browser and change the channel to a different one. I had issues with Sky broadband a while ago and they advised to do this because often a lot of people in the neighbourhood are using the default channel and it can affect performance.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Some routers has a limited number of connections it can perform within a certain timeframe. Ive had this problem myself, and my old router had a setting where i could raise this number, which fixed it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have just got fibre and it's constantly stopping my connection. I run a lot of bittorrents (Transmission)and my network utility has 20-30 connections. My provider is sky and they says its a problem for apple. When the connection goes dead (browser) the bit torrents still run. Questions-is there a way to run both bit torrent and the browser? and is there way to limit the connections on my utilitys? Thank you
osx10.6.8
mac pro

With any internet connection, if you have your upstream bandwidth uncapped in the torrent client, you may see a dramatically reduced speed. Try setting the upstream limit to something lower.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Any decent BitTorrent client will be able to cap the number of sessions and overall bandwidth etc.

I tend to use my own router instead the one provided by the isp. That way I can also prioritise traffic on my network, for example I was consistent bandwidth available for sip protocols and are happy for others to be reduced.

Ultimately the choice is your as to what you want to do about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.