Bitdefender AV for Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMacUnsure, Sep 2, 2013.

1. iMacUnsure macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Anyone know anything about this? Would it be safe to use on a Mac? I had it on my Windows PC and it worked great. I am a little paranoid about virus and other stuff affecting my Mac. I went through the Wiki on protecting the Mac and did most of the things it suggested.:rolleyes:

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You do not need an anti-virus for OS X. There are not now, nor have there ever been, any viruses in the wild that effect OS X.

OS X is not immune to viruses, but thus far there have been none in the wild that have been a problem or infected Macs. There are other forms of malware that can effect Macs, but the best way to avoid them is safe computing.

If you really want to, you can get ClamX, which will scan for nasties and quarantine them. I use it once a month and it cleans out a bunch of harmless (probably Windows) junk which has no impact anyway. The nice thing about ClamX is it doesn't run in the background, and so it doesn't use any resources until you open it for a scan.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

3. simsaladimbamba

With Wiki, do you mean this FAQ? - Mac Virus/Malware Info

If so, use ClamXAV to calm your paranoid tendencies until you calm completely down and figure out, that AV software is not needed, if you employ those safe security steps the FAQ tells you about.

4. iMacUnsure thread starter macrumors member

iMacUnsure

Yeah I guessI still have a case of Windows phobia. But better to be safe than sorry for a while anyway.:eek:

5. DLary macrumors member

I use it because work requires antivirus to be installed for remote access. It is very intrusive and always popping up with demands to run the scanner and renew your license. The real time scanning engine does not appear to work at all. If you try to go to a website that it thinks is unsafe it does not give you a "proceed at your own risk" option. I will not be renewing and will look for another option to satisfy work requirements.