Bitesms Free Texting??!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hockeyhammer, Feb 18, 2011.

1. hockeyhammer macrumors regular

So I sent Bitesms an email this morning asking if they were planning support for Pinger's Textfree network. This was the reply:
    "We will be launching our own free texting service very soon... in the next few weeks.

Dev- biteSMS team"

Has anyone heard of this before? Any rumors of how it will work? This could be pretty awesome.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be sweat if it uses and integrates text sending and receiving with your own cellphone number.
    I could cut down on the texting plan charges. Looking forward on seeing how this will work.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

whatsapp is intergrated with your cellphone number and is a great app

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, I havent tried that app.
    Does it use the stock or Bitesms app to send and receive or do you need to use the whatsup program to send/receive? And your phone number is displayed to the sender right? Not some random number, email or other ID handle?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it uses that whatsapp application and yes it uses your phone number as your "ID" the app it self uses your iphone contacts as the contacts within the app and its smart enough to add people in your contacts that also have the app to your "favorite" tab

the only catch is both parties need the app, so it doesnt send to the persons native sms app if they dont have whatsapp

if the other person has whatsapp but doesnt have you in their iphone contacts it just displays your number as the sender

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. Chromus macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure this is how bite's free texting will work. If both parties don't have biteSMS or another supported app, it won't work.

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well if your correct then to me I see no advantage. if you could text anyone that would be great cause then you could cancel the text package with at&t and that money will help pay for your data plan.

9. Chromus macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly lol.

Here's the information posted on the biteSMS forums, which leads me to believe it's only beneficial if both parties have the app.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, that sucks:(