BiteSMS Icon

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jnardis, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to change the Bitesms icon without using winterboard? The pink is killing me and I really don't want to use Winterboard for one function.

2. linuxidiot macrumors member

Im not sure about you, but I wanted to hide my real sms app and give Bite the SMS icon.

I picked up a retina SMS icon for winterboard. Grabbed the icon from the theme and pasted it over the bitesms icon by SSH'ing in.

You might be able to SSH in, grab the real sms icon and copy it over the bitesms icon.

Pretty easy to do.

3. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have the retina icon that uses winterboard. I was going to delete winterboard now, but I'm not too sure how to use ssh.

4. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Just happened to by my full license a few minutes ago and had a peak at a their faq page. They mentioned on there that they will be updating to a retina display icon in the next update that should be here in a few days.

Here is the entry under faq page.

"On iPhone 4 the biteSMS icon looks bad and lots of the graphics are still low-res
    We are working on this RIGHT NOW! We'll put out a public release (4.98) in the next day or so, once all the graphics are completed.
    In the meantime while not 100% complete, you can get the latest stable version from our Cydia repos here"

5. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great. i will wait for that. TY!

6. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Yes there is. I've attached the icon I use to this message. Through SSH go to var/stash/Applications/biteSMS.app and replace Icon@2x.png with the icon of your choice. That will replace the icon for the app itself.

I always save the original icon before replacing. In this case it's not really very important but it's a good habit to get into.

Here's a thread that talks about replacing all instances of the biteSMS icon with the standard Messages icons if you're interested in that.

Posts 9 and 10 are the ones to read.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10752645&postcount=9

Attached Files:

7. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is perfect. Thanks so much. I will try it when I get home tonight. I assume iFile needs to be downloaded on my iMac right, not the phone?

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

The easiest way to change the biteSMS icon to look like the stock icon is to download the "biteSMS icon to RETINA icon" (I believe that's right) in Cydia. Once it's installed, it changes the biteSMS icon to look like the stock one.

9. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

SSH into your device. Use WinSCP for Windows and Cyberduck for Mac.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Someone on the bitesms forum create a whole new set of icons for bitesms that do not require Winterboard. Use SSH and an application like the iPhone Explorer to replace the icons.

http://forums.bitesms.com/forums/1/topics/1353

11. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, but then I need winterboard which I'm trying to stay away from.

12. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Worked perfectly, but now is there a way to change the pink icons on the lock screen when you have more than one text? Tx

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Read my post.

14. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

I just made them the correct size and named them for you. I was being lazy and didn't bother but since you asked I figured what the heck. :)

I included the large homscreen icon (you already have this) for anyone who wants to give it a try.

Attached Files:

15. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Got the PSD for that? I'd like to use that chat bubble on the stock green SMS icon for BiteSMS

16. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, Thanks a lot. I just have to email the zip to my phone and copy paste it into ifile?

17. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

No I don't. This icon isn't my mine. I got it from the theme iPhone 4 (HD) by Susumu Yoshida over at macthemes.

The icon is found in post #91. The color was still not what I wanted so I used PS to change the hue.
    http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16804952&p=4

If you contact ramasaurus he will probably send you the .psd file. Of course I can't say for sure but I don't see why he wouldn't. Good luck! :)

18. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Unless you want to save the original icons then yes that should work. I use Cyberduck and take files from my computer and SSH to the phone. Mainly because I like to backup everything to my computer first.

To be clear, these new icons go in the same folder as the other you've already replaced.

var/stash/Applications/biteSMS.app

19. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I thought. For some reason it won't let me past into bitesms from my email. I'm going through ifile. Also, is openSSH the same thing as iFile? What do I need to download on my Mac to access Ifile or OpenSSH?

20. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

From what I've read you should be able to do this with iFile. I never used it but there's a feature that allows you to upload files from your computer to your phone over wifi.

If you can get that to work for you go for it. If not then here's what I do.

You'll need OpenSSH on your phone. You should also get SBSettings while you're at it. That will let you turn SSH on or off, give you your phone's wifi ip address (you'll need that) along with a lot of extra features.

It's highly recommended to install MobileTerminal 426 in order to change root and mobile passwords. It's not needed to change the icons but if you have OpenSSH on your phone you should get this and follow these instructions. Change your passwords

MobileTerminal 426 Here
    Instructions: http://www.techpetals.com/install-mobile-terminal-4.26-for-ios-4-4.0.1-iphone-4-3gs-ipad-3.2.1-1803

Cyberduck is an SSH tool that allows you to browse your phone. http://cyberduck.ch/

Ok now that you have everything, and you've changed your root and mobile passwords, we can get started.

If it's not already, turn on OpenSSH and wifi.

Open up Cyberduck and click on "Open Connection" in the top left of the screen.

From the drop down box select SFTP (SSH). Enter the wifi address SBSettings gives you in the "Sever" field.

Username: Root
    Password: Enter what you changed that to.

I don't save my password to keychain but that's up to you.

Press connect. It may ask if you want to always all this connection. I select "always".

Navigate to the top most part of the file structure by pressing the upward arrow near the search field on the right.

From there go to var/stash/Applications/biteSMS.app

I save the files you're about to change but I guess in this case it's not absolutely necessary.

Copy the new files and paste them in that folder.

Done!

It's actually very easy and writing out the steps makes it seem so much more complicated than it really is to accomplish.