iPhone biteSMS is great, but has a couple glaring flaws

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TH55, Feb 16, 2014.

1. TH55, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

TH55 macrumors 68030

The Quick Compose and Quick Reply features are enough for me to keep it in spite of these flaws, however they are still very annoying and disruptive.

1. When you tap and hold a message and click "more" to forward, in addition to checking the little circles to the left of individual messages, lightly tapping the actual message selects and unselects it so as you scroll down checking multiple messages it's very difficult to avoid unchecking messages you want to forward with your thumb. Completely unnecessary and stupid, very annoying.

2. This is not as big but the "settings" being located in the app right above the list of convos is very obtrusive and detracts from the otherwise seamless transposition of biteSMS onto the stock Messages app.

3. Even less notable but still annoying nonetheless, they will not allow you to change the app name under the icon to Messages so it looks like the original app to match the rest of the design.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I love bitesms.
    The tons of cool and useful features make it my fav hack.
    But the devs can never please everyone.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Come on man, I said I like the app. Give me a break, those are objective flaws.

4. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Why does the settings being in the "search" bother you? It's hidden unless you pull it down. Way less obtrusive then where it use to be.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

It's not hidden, each time you scroll up to the top it's impossible to avoid showing it. It doesn't stop before it.

6. fark macrumors regular

No, they're your subjective flaws.

7. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I guess I don't find it a big problem. It's very small. Id just scroll back down to hide it if it bothers you that much.

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah this was a small issue. The big one is at the top.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Another issue: adding photos from your library is way less efficient. Is there any way to remove the smileys and make it just the photo/camera option?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

To you they are glaring flaws.
    To me are nothing even worth mentioning;)

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

1. Yes, annoying but I'll live with it for now. They'll probably eventually get that fixed. They're still working on fixing stability bugs and other features

3. Supposedly can be changed by editing some plist file

----------

It was never an option for the iOS 6.x version so probably not. But you never know, they might change their mind. I rather they work on stability and features right now than appearance (although that's also important but I don't think it's too big of an issue)

You can also hold the folder icon to attach the last image in your camera roll. I don't see how it's less efficient though. The stock messages app still requires two taps to get to the camera roll selection page

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I love it more than ever in iOS 7, actually! I didn't think I would, but I prefer it being built into the default Messages app as oppose to being a separate app. Oh, and changing the name of the app is actually really easy. The combination of biteSMS and Messages Customizer is makes jailbroken iOS 7 the best iOS experience I've ever had.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So I don't need to download ifile to do it?

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

No, you do, but you don't have to pay for it to be able to change the required file.

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Better than having to go into the Settings pane for iOS to get to BiteSMS settings, though. :)

16. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

This is still in Beta is it not !

Bugs being ironed out.

Patience is a virtue.

17. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Yes it's still in beta .

18. titans1127 macrumors 6502a

I'm just waiting for the password lock of the quick reply on the lock screen to be enabled before pulling the trigger and installing. Its the only feature I really need along with quick reply.

19. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought I would use quick reply a lot more, it's actually more of a hassle though. I just uninstalled the app.

20. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

Really? What is the hassle about the qr auto showing or taping the banner or bubble in the status bar? It lets you reply without leaving the app. Seems like less hassle then not having it.

21. fark macrumors regular

Problem solved.

22. germanguy macrumors regular

Question. In bite SMS, how do you see the full photos in MMS? When I click on a photo, it just brings up information on the photo but not the full size

23. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

It's only good when it's 1 quick message, if it's a continued back and forth it's much easier to just leave the app. That is much more often than the former.

24. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

The official release was just pushed to Big Boss early this morning, but they said they will still release betas for the additional features to be added. They recommended to use the betas though. The last beta is the exact same thing as the official release, I believe it's 8.0 and the beta is 8.0.19

25. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I mean that is the point. To quickly reply. If it's a long convo then obviously going in the app is probably the best bet.