BiteSMS Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Fugue, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Fugue macrumors 6502

I was wondering how it impacted battery life. Also, what features does it add over the default messaging client except quick reply?

Thanks

2. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Contact picture on message list and tacked to message popup.

Quick compose (tap volume key, the tap inside volume "box" for BiteSMS popup)

Individualized text tones per contact.

Lots of other fine-grain options like privacy settings (choose to display message & name, or name w/o message, or just a generic popup with nothing given until phone is unlocked)

3. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Bitesms is loaded with features and makes messaging a lot more convenient and fun! I have not noticed any difference in battery life, but I have seen a few random complaints in the forums so maybe it's YMMV?

Anyway, here's a list of features straight from their site:

http://www.bitesms.com/main/more_features

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

The free version of BiteSMS uses ads which does consume more battery life.

5. Vinnie Madrox macrumors 6502

Vinnie Madrox

Bought my iphone 3GS January 9th 2009, jailbroke it January 12th 2009 with Blackra1n. installed QuickReplySMS that day. March2009 i switched to BiteSMS because of all the added features. Bought my iphone 4 July 2010, jailbroke it the day i got it {jailbreakme.com} and installed BiteSMS that same day. Paid the license for it shortly after being installed on my iphone4 to get rid of the adds. NEVER had battery issues with it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    Where did you get that?
    There's only a small banner ad on the bottom of the page when you open up the bitesms app.
    The quickreply, quickcompose, list etc have no ads even on the free version and the battery life is fine here.

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

It does technically when more when it pulls the data with 3g sadly. But nothing significant.

Buy it. You will not regret it.

8. MikePA, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

What's that I smell? It's someone who is uninformed spreading BS.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D

10. Jealy macrumors newbie

Well, an image being displayed (even worse if it's being pulled live off a server via 3G / wifi) will use more battery than if the image wasn't there... that's just obvious.

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Oh, yes, Chauncy. As you're busy sending and receiving texts, via 3G / WiFi, to/from, dare I say it (yes, do dare), live to servers, the tiny ads will completely devastate the battery...that's just obvious.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, imagine the webpages viewed and emails, texts, push notifications and all other activity going on in the iphone would probably pull that stuff of a server too. Using 3G or wifi probably? That tiny ad on the bottom of the page if and when you open up the app will really make a difference on battery life right?
    WTF? :D
    lol

13. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

It was enough for me to notice the small difference in battery with the ads. I purchased the app. I view the messaging app quite a bit...I send and receive a ton of text messages.

If you never went into the messaging app and only used quick reply you probably won't have any battery drain. :D

14. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Exactly how did you notice this, how did you tie it to the ads in bitesms and eliminate all other causes?

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right:rolleyes:

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I've used BiteSMS since v1, and bought it the day after I used the trial. Ever since from my 2G to my 4, I have never had a problem with battery life due to biteSMS on either.

17. Jealy macrumors newbie

Not saying it would be anything major, but it would be there. :)

I use BiteSMS & my iP4 lasts fine... and I'm usually reading comics on it!