biteSMS--weird bug since update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by IrishVixen, Jun 17, 2011.

1. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The latest bite update is the first time in almost a year that I've had a problem with this app. If bite is opened from the switcher dock, it crashes on the second text sent every single time--but only back to the springboard (not the safe mode crash some experienced previously). The app will still be backgrounded, the text still sends.

If I close it out from the background, then open it fresh, I can text from within the app without it crashing, until it's backgrounded once more. And quick reply/quick compose isn't having any problems.

Before I ping the devs, has anyone else experienced this or can anyone else replicate it? (or not, for that matter) This was never a problem before the update, now it's annoying as hell, but as this is my favorite app, I'd like to be able to provide them with as much info as I can.

4.2.1/1.59 preserved

2. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

The devs are VERY helpful and responsive on that app, so I would just bring it to their attention. Heck, check those forums as their might already be a beta fix.

http://forums.bitesms.com/

3. IrishVixen thread starter macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I did check there first, not seeing any reports of it. It took me a while to figure out what the exact circumstances were that caused it--and I thought for a time I'd overcome it, but nope, I just hadn't figured out how to replicate it exactly. LOL Just checked Crash Reporter--eight crash logs for bite since the update two days ago, all listing bite as the primary suspect and no secondaries, so I'll have to send them that info along both a bug report.

But the tester in me wants to know if it happens to other people too. :D

4. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Are you using the official or the beta? I've had no issues with the beta crashing at all. If you are already using the bite forum, just dl it from the repo address you find there.

5. IrishVixen thread starter macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Official this time though; did one of their betas a while back, but not this latest one. They typically close off the beta repo once they release though--but I can look.

Sent a note and the latest crash report via email to them last night, looks like they'll take a look on Monday. But if anyone else manages to replicate this (or can't), I'm still curious to know. Hubby won't let me JB his phone to try it. LOL

6. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Nope, the beta is still beta'ing. cydia.bitesms.com, newest is .10.

Caveat- I don't uses the switcher dock- I have that Apple "background" foolishness turned off- so I can't see if mine will replicate your issue. But I'm not seeing lots of posts about this on bite's forums- http://www.bitesms.com/

7. LaZyFLiP macrumors regular

I think the final beta went public as of version 5.3.

I tried to replicate the crash but mine works fine. I am on the latest 4.3.3 FW though.

8. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Yep- seems to be: "Thanks for everyone’s help in getting Release 5.3 ready for public release. It’s been sent to BigBoss for hosting.

The public 5.3 is the same as 5.3 beta 10 apart from some translation string updates."

9. IrishVixen thread starter macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Well, there's a workaround. Literally just as I found a short thread tonight on the bite forums from a couple of months ago detailing this exact issue, Jim from bite also emailed me asking me to try the same solution outlined on the forums.

The solution: Turn off "all timestamps" under the settings menu built into the app.

They said they've received several reports of this bug from the US, though didn't say if it was carrier or firmware specific. Regardless, turning that switch off stops the odd springboard crashing, and it's a workaround I can live with. Hopefully they eventually find and fix the problem, but in the meantime, it's nice to be able to send more than two messages in a row without having to do them all through quick compose. LOL

(And digging through their forums that far back turned up a theme for the "recents" dropdown bar in QR/QC--a little modding and now that part of bite matches the rest of my black & pink themed phone.) :D

10. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

When beta 10 was released I had that bug with timestamps on and posted on bitesms forum. I received a response within minutes and beta 10 was updated the next day. That's customer support!