biteSMS - Why Use It?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MikePA, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

While biteSMS is a great product, I don't understand the financial logic in using it.

1. biteSMS is only used for outgoing messages, incoming still incur carrier charges.
    2. Even the smallest ATT Text plan ($5.00/mo) gets the price down to 2.5 cents each for 200 messages and 10 cents, the biteSMS rate, for each additional message.
    3. The next ATT plan costs ($15.00/mo) 1 cent each for 1500 messages, 5 cents each additional message.
    4. The next step up is ATT Unlimited for $20/month.
    What's the advantage to biteSMS? Not trying to start an argument, just trying to understand.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Based on what you've already found and noted, I would tend to agree that there is no financial logic in the app. However, there's no financial logic in many of the apps.

3. franz222 macrumors newbie

Well it depends on where you at. E.g. in Germany where text messaging is very popular you usually get charged around 19 Cents (Eurocents) per message. Using biteSMS it is only 6 cents, so you can save in some cases a lot.

4. MikePA thread starter macrumors 68020

MikePA

Too bad biteSMS doesn't charge less than ATT for users in the states.

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I feel sorry for you yanks paying for incoming calls and texts, you truly are screwed out of your cash.

6. Shaduu macrumors 6502a

Shaduu

Yup, that truly does suck. I'm used to paying for incoming calls and texts while roaming but for local calls is just daylight robbery. I mean, would you pay for an incoming call on a landline if it wasn't on reversed charge?

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Exactly!

Even when our phones are roaming we are being ripped off, the networks make huge profit off of international calls.

8. navigates macrumors 6502a

two obvious benefits for me:
    1: cheaper outgoing international SMS 10c vs 25 AT&T rate.
    2: forward SMS and delete specific smses

9. bhsu21 macrumors 6502

For me, I'm in Taiwan and I send some international text messages. Compared to my local cell phone rate, it's cheaper. That's why I use it. But if I'm sending local texts, then i just use my local carrier.

10. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

the ability to Forward SMS~ i think its the only decent app that makes forwarding sms possible.

11. bushido Suspended

bushido

i love how u have to pay for incoming text and calls, what if someone hates ú and keeps calling just to piss u off

i for one really enjoy using biteSMS

6 cent instead of 19 cent for a text ^^

12. doug0365 macrumors member

This is the only reason I use BiteSms is the ability to foward SMS witch is something so simple that apple could have implemented but thank god for bitesms