BiteSMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OriolesMagic, Mar 24, 2011.

1. OriolesMagic macrumors member

Just downloaded BiteSMS, and am absolutely loving it so far. However, I want to change the icon and the title so that it looks like the stock SMS app. What's the best way to do this? SSH?

Could someone give me a quick step-by-step process please?

2. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

No needed! There are about 4 Cydia packages that change it to the stock message icon through winterboard

3. OriolesMagic thread starter macrumors member

Should've added that I do not want to install winterboard if I don't have too. This would be the only use I would have for it.

Unless you think winterboard won't slow down my phone at all, since this will be the only theme I use?

4. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I've been theming my iP4 with Winterboard since day 1, never noticed any slowdown

5. crovian macrumors regular

probably because u've been using it since day 1 so you don't remember stock speed hahah

but joking aside, it does take away some rams but it's not noticeably slower.
    BUT i have fakeclockup installed and I'm really into theme-ing my phone so my answer might be a little bit biased

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I would just change the icon thru ssh. I hate winterboard and to install it just for one icon is pointless.

7. ctbear macrumors 6502a

lol good point
    I actually tested this last week by uninstalling winterboard for a week. Didn't notice any difference.
    I also compared my phone with winterboard to my girlfriend's brand new iP4 without winterboard, couldn't find any difference either.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Here's where the bitesms icon is stored:
    /private/var/stash/Applications/biteSMS.app
    You can replace it with the stock one or whatever icon you want. Just name it the same name icon@2x.png and replace the one in that folder.
    Im attaching the stock icon for the i4 below.

Attached Files:

9. The LPT macrumors regular

there's also a tweak on repo.modyouri.com that changes the bitesms icon to the stock icon, without the need for winterboard.

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

This is very easy to do with iFile, no winteboard, ssh, or packages needed. Just navigate to the MobileSMS application folder, copy the icon, and paste it in the biteSMS folder. Takes 15-22 seconds. If it takes 23 you suck at life.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:D
    Good thing it only took me 22 seconds.

12. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Winterboard must've really slowed things down with previous iPhones, because it has such a bad reputation around here!

I haven't noticed any slowdown whatsoever using winterboard on my ip4. I too had my girlfriend's stock ip4 to compare, and believe me I did after hearing so much grumbling about winterboard potentially slowing down the phone.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It did in the past.
    And with something minor as switching an icon is pointless to install it and use up unnecessary resources.

14. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

If this is the only thing you want to ever theme or change on your phone I also recommend not using Winterboard.

However, one advantage Winterboard would have over the SSH-file-edit method is that if you use Winterboard you won't have to do this every single time there's a new biteSMS version that you download.

I don't know if you download their betas or not, but they do update pretty often.

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Just search for one on Cydia. They have tons. That's what I did.