Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
HERE IS MY IP - CAN U REMOTLY LOG INTO Y SYSTEM IF I ALLOW SYSTEM SHARING IN LEOPARD SO YOU CAN HELP ME. I CAN EVEN PAY YOU FOR YOUR TIME.. 20 DOLLARS. I AM DESPARATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm using bitlbee discord via limechat irc client.
All IRC clients still connect to normal IRC servers. Think of bitlbee as a "man in the middle" that lets an IRC client connect to other "chat services" like twitter, jabber and discord. Not IRC.
With that said you can still use normal IRC. For instance #macgarden on irc.freenode.net is the macintosh gardens irc channel. (not the discord channels)

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Ok, so I connected to the channel you gave me and I saw over 50 people including you, so I know it now works - Xchat-Aqua and also tried Ircle for OS 9 which I have memories of using. Also, under Windows many years ago used mIRC. It’s great IRC is still around and being used again. Perhaps, I will take a pic of what discord is giving me in terms of the captcha.. sorry, I was upset this morning.. I know I shouldn’t be, just I a feel I should know this stuff like I did back during the PPC era.

another Linux question - do you maintain updates for the remix ?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Its fine. Manually setting things up can be cumbersome at times. As for remix, the browsers get updated from time to time.

Cheers

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Its fine. Manually setting things up can be cumbersome at times. As for remix, the browsers get updated from time to time.

Cheers
Thank you for your understanding. I am not like this in real life, as I am very patient and usually very much into details, just these things I haven't done in many years - given when PPC was the norm, I allowed time to pass by so much that I had OS 9 and browsing the web with it in my hands.. until I came back. Its as if you are asleep for years and wake up to a new reality. So, what time do you usually respond on IRC ?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
I'm using bitlbee discord via limechat irc client.
All IRC clients still connect to normal IRC servers. Think of bitlbee as a "man in the middle" that lets an IRC client connect to other "chat services" like twitter, jabber and discord. Not IRC.
With that said you can still use normal IRC. For instance #macgarden on irc.freenode.net is the macintosh gardens irc channel. (not the discord channels)
Oh! That's neat, I didn't quite realize what this was!

Is bitbee transparent to the Discord users? In other words, do you show up as Wicknix, or as some form of "[Bot] Wicknix"?

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I show up as wicknix. Your username is attached to your discord login email and pass. It works very well. Macgarden even offers a bitlbee server you can connect to for free to join their discord chat, but i prefer not using public servers for that type of stuff.

Steve030

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Hey @wicknix I admire your patience, I bet you were almost regretting posting bitlbee on the forum lol :) Cheers I'm using it, much appreciated. By the way I noticed you couldn't find the last Leopard version of Limewire, here it is I'll upload it.

Attachments

• LimeChat_2.26.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 86

Steve030

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
@wicknix just wondering what your recommendation for starting bitlbee on login would be? Just adding it in user account options? Also, do you have any tips on making Limewire a bit quicker, I noticed before running 'identify' for bitlbee it goes through all my channels setting +t before it responds, so quite slow. I wonder if it something to do with Limewire remembering the channels from last session or something.

Steve030

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
The best method would be manually creating a LaunchAgent / LaunchDaemon plist.
More info on how to create them here and here.

Cheers
Cheers, I'm almost there hopefully you can give me a hint - no matter where I place my plist, either in user agents or system agents, bitlbee doesn't seem to run with root privileges. So when trying identify, it says permission denied. Hope you can help thx :)

EDIT: I solved it

Using these handy question/answers, had to make it a daemon not a launch agent, chown it to root and set 644. Now all good :)

Last edited:

matO_opp_ITA

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2021
Calabria, Italy
I compiled and made a standalone package of Bitlbee with the Discord plugin for use on Leopard (PPC).
Dont trust public bitlbee servers? Then run this on your own machine instead.
Download here: Bitlbee-3.6
Read the README in the zip for more info.
Note: This will not interfere with macports installations, and it doesn't require that macports be installed.

View attachment 1747864

View attachment 1747865

View attachment 1747866

Cheers
I have a problem: I followed this guide: https://mac84.net/web/discord-via-irc/
But I think it’s outdated, because when I type “/msg root account discord on” the server try to connect but it reply: login error: login error: captha-required

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah those commands arent right. Follow this guide i posted here.
You also shouldn't get a captcha, but if you do, you can find the workaround here.

Cheers

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
For those who may still be using this, i created a Discord-like colored theme for LimeChat. Grab it on the garden.

theme.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.