Bitlocker in Bootcamp does not recognize USB Key during Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigmacduck, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

On my Macbook Air (Rev-C 2009) is encrypted the Bootcamp Windows 7 partition with Bitlocker. Since the MacBooks don't have a TPM installed, I used an external USB key to store the Bitlocker key. That USB key needs to be inserted during the Windows boot phase. This worked perfectly well on the MBA. :)

See BL FAQ on MS Technet: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449438(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_NoTPM

The same setup unfortunately does not work with my new MBP 2011 15". The Bitlocker pre-installation test fails. It appears that this new MBP model does not properly read USB flash sticks during boot and therefore is not compatible with Bitlocker. I tried different sticks (FAT formatted) and it's all the same. :confused:

Are there any parameters that can be set in the MBP boot rom to ensure that USB Flash is read during boot process?
    Any other persons who experienced the same?

2. xenophonf macrumors newbie

Re: Bitlocker in Bootcamp does not recognize USB Key during Boot

So I'm not the only one. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.7 and Windows 7 Enterprise x64 on a MacBookPro5,1 (2008 unibody). I re-checked the EFI version and it's current. My assumption right now is that Boot Camp's BIOS emulation doesn't support any of the USB mass storage devices I've tried (which includes a 5G 160-GB iPod, a 512-MB iPod Shuffle, a new Sony flash drive, and several different SD cards of varying makes and capacities). Conversely, EFI can see just about every USB drive I've tried, which makes testing a bit frustrating. Since it works in the MacBook Air, have you tried using the MacBook Air's USB key in your new MacBook Pro? Of course, back up the Air's key before you try this, but according to my limited testing, you should be able to store multiple BitLocker keys on a single USB drive.

3. Bigmacduck thread starter macrumors regular

Will test BL on Windows-only installation with Camp Tune

Yes, I tried the very same USB key that works with the MBA.

I already called Apple Support and they were basically clueless. The recommended me to download the latest Bootcamp drivers from their website. I already did that and still same problem.

I am now trying to test it with Win 7 x64 Ultimate edition as the only operating system on the MPB. I will just do this for testing purposes only. Paragon Camp Tune 9 http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/ allows the installation of windows and the sole OS. It is also more flexible than Bootcamp because you change the size of the Bootcamp and OSX partition. Under Bootcamp you cannot do this.

I will post the outcome of the test today.

4. Bigmacduck thread starter macrumors regular

Tested with Paragon Camp Tune. Same result, the Windows Bitlocker test fails as it does not recognize the USB flash stick.

So my conclusion is Bitlocker does not work on a MacBook Pro 8,2 15".

So I will continue using Sophos SafeGuard full disk encryption. It's even saver than Bitlocker as it provides pre-boot protection.