Bitnami vs MAMP for WordPress

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by somology, Jul 15, 2011.

1. somology macrumors newbie

Which one is better for building and managing a production WordPress site on my MacBook? Bitnami vs MAMP?

2. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I never used Bitnami but i use MAMP to locally run a WordPress test website and it works very well. No issues so far.

3. somology thread starter macrumors newbie

Found the answer - bitnami forum - link

From what I read at the Bitnami Forum, it is a specific installation of MAMP that allows you to easily load modules of specific PHP-based web tools, such as WordPress, Drupal, etc., on top of the base MAMP platform.

I was actually looking for this as I am a web dev noob, and wanted to be able to learn something like Drupal while working on WordPress.

Here's the link: http://bitnami.org/article/bitnami-modules-as-an-user-i-want-integration

4. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

you can easily install WordPress or Drupal on MAMP also. Just download the files and place them on the root of your web server folder which is usually "htdocs".

WordPress has an easy how-to tutorial on how to install WordPress on a local web server like MAMP.

5. somology thread starter macrumors newbie

Both at the same time?

With MAMP, can you install both at the same time in the directory? Can you install other things like moodle, magenta, etc.?

6. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

Yes you can install as many packages as you want. I believe moodle provides their own installer for MAMP.

7. somology thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the feedback.

8. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

No Problem. If you have any questions, send me a PM.