Bitten by the bug once again. :)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FineFuturity, May 31, 2017.

1. FineFuturity, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017

FineFuturity macrumors member

I have been bitten by the bug once again and am going through a PPC resurgence! And what better way to kick it off than with a new purchase?

About a week ago, I found me a 12" PB G4 for a little under 50 bucks on eBay. Looked fairly ok: it has stickers on the keyboard, some more sticker residue on the left palm rest, and what looked to be visible dents in the screen itself (sadly resulting in some mura :( ). Despite the listing reporting the little guy as-is, I felt I'd never see one go this low again. I had to buy it.

Now, I had only ever seen pictures of 12 inchers, so I never could truly appreciate the machine for what it is. When it arrived, I took it out of the package and held it for the first time... and I immediately "got it". It truly is a beautiful machine, and tbh, it has been seeing some moderate use since I received it.

Thanks to this thing, the resurgence is officially full steam ahead. And boy, did I miss it -- and this community, too. :)

Here's a couple of photos of the machine. I should be able to get the Apple stickers off. The language stickers... I think I'll just get a replacement keyboard. I'm not about to peel off each individual sticker lmao.

Attached Files:

2. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Great little machines, aren't they? Glad to see you got it and it works nicely! Show us when you've gotten it a bit cleaned up. :)

3. CooperBox, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Being bitten by the PPC bug is ok, and nornaly not life-threatening. However since I started collecting a little over 3 years ago, it's like I've been hounded and bitten by a pack of rabid dogs. The collecting bug can be all-consuming as several others here will testify. I sense that my other-half (bless-her) believes that I'm seriously affected, and has plans to offer me a gift in consequence, namely a straight-jacket!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It occurred to my wife one day (and she mentioned it to me) that my collecting computers (not just PowerPC Macs, but any computer) was akin to her collecting purses.

Only my computers are somewhat bigger and take up more space. :D

She doesn't get it, but she's ok with it as long as it's not taking over the house. Which is why quite a few of them have ended up at work. :rolleyes:

5. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

My wife fortunately is very tolerant. Whenever she says, "What another?" which is quite often, my reply now is, "Well you encourage me!"
    The first time I said this to her (last year actually) was just after the purchase of the TAM. I'd been after one for ages, and had almost given up hope of finding one locally, and didn't fancy buying one remotely without seeing it and testing thoroughly.
    One memorable day last year, she was doing the ironing in the spare room - where I have a G4 Cube connected to the home network via ethernet and powerline adapter. She'd quite innocently gently placed three nicely pressed shirts on top of the Cube, and due to the touch-sensitive sensor on the top, it had booted up to the home page. She called to me, and I was presented by the home page previously set to a local 'Craigslist-type' site displaying a TAM for sale just a short drive away. Long story short, after two visits and some bargaining, it was mine. I'd forgotten that the Cube was the only computer linked to that particlar site, and without my wife's intervention I certainly wouldn't have seen the ad in such a timely fashion. So as I revel in reminding the little lady, her encouragement is greatly appreciated...........

6. KawaiiAurora macrumors 6502

KawaiiAurora

Now that's faith xD

7. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Oh, that does really sound like magic! Where did you met - Hogwards or Beauxbatons?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2017 ---
    Congrats - the 12" PB are bewitchingly beautiful!
    Make sure to install G4FanControl if fans are running too often and early...

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My 12" PB has certainly gotten a decent amount of use since I purchased it two years ago, also a little under 50 bucks on eBay. :p They are very nice machines, I was very impressed by the loudness of the speaker and brightness of the screen on mine!

9. FineFuturity thread starter macrumors member

Are the speakers supposed to be of the same quality as, say, the PowerBook G4 17"? If so, mine sound awfully tinny and bleh... :(

10. CooperBox, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

The volume from the speakers of my 12" PB is not exactly what one would call loud, but when near max is perfectly listenable and certainly not what I would describe as tinny.
    Regarding a comparison with the larger alluminium PB's, I couldn't remember, so have just compared with my 15". Very similar volume at or near max. On both I can hear virtually nothing until the volume is raised approx above one-third. (This is not the case of course with headphones, which deliver listening volume throughout the range). A quick look at iFixit reminds me that the speaker configuration between the two Powerbooks is significantly different; on the 15" a speaker module on the left-hand side, and much smaller (tweeter?) on the right. In comparison, the 12" PB appears to have just the one speaker module - situated towards the rear, right of centre - below the logic board (as unfortunately is the optical drive)!

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, it's a laptop speaker from 10+ years ago, speaker technology has massively improved since that time - but when you think of the quality in the context of the tech of the time, they were fantastic, and still not terrible even today.

12. FineFuturity thread starter macrumors member

I hadn't even considered that lmao. How modern tech has spoiled me so :p

13. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

It's a pity the PPC-books with Leopard don't support the TwelveSouth BassJump2.
    The sound of my 2008 aluminium intel MacBook's rocks with that additional USB-subwoofer.