BitTorrent Crashing Internet!

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
All day long BitTorrent has been working fine for me. I was the only person using the internet and BitTorrent was doing great. I ended up opening up one of the ports that it recommended to open up and the downloads got faster and everything was still fine.

Well, tonight, everything just sucks! For some reason BitTorrent keeps crashing the internet in my house. I usually have to end up resetting the DSL & Router box. I remember it doing this some a whlie back, but I was on a different router (a D-Link.) I'm now on a Netgear WGT624.

I figured maybe it was something else causing the problems, but I've been sitting here for a while now without BitTorrent running and my net hasn't gone down at all. But tried opening BitTorrent and after about a minute or so...net goes crap. So, then I figured maybe it was just the program BitTorrent. I downloaded the Universal Azureus application, but that too crashed my net whenever I was going through the set-up and it was testing a port.

This is VERY agrivating! Anyone know anything I can try? Your help is MUCh appreciated!

EDIT: Alright, my brother just went to bed so I decided to load BitTorrent back up and see how things go, and so far the internet seems stable. Everything is fast. =S

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Frozone said:
I was the only person using the internet
Where was everyone else? At the beach? ;)

(Seriously, I thought this was going to be a thread about how BitTorrent users are consuming so much bandwidth that the Internet is collapsing under the strain.)

(And no, I don't have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.)

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
i believe you're saturating your bandwidth, mate. it's not actually killing your internet, it's just making it appear to be dead.. if you're using azureus or some program with a bit of control, limit your upload and download rates to approx. 80% of your maximum speeds and you should be fine. show up in IRC if you need me or janey to walk ya through it ^_^

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
my old isp admitted (well a friendly service guy) that the dont like torrenters and will break up the connection. They dont like us using the bandwidth and having other people complain about their service sucking.

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
zach said:
i believe you're saturating your bandwidth, mate. it's not actually killing your internet, it's just making it appear to be dead.. if you're using azureus or some program with a bit of control, limit your upload and download rates to approx. 80% of your maximum speeds and you should be fine. show up in IRC if you need me or janey to walk ya through it ^_^
Okie. *heads to IRC*

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
haha I saw this and thought it was refering to the entire internet...'specially after seeing [website name removed] being raided and so forth...

Oh well, the internet was fun while it lasted! :)

Oh, and about the crashing bittorent...what kinds of D/L and U/L were you getting? If they were obscenely high you may just be using all of your available inter-net-ness (bandwith).

x86

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
Dearborn, MI
I have had the same problem. After I capped Azureus to 20KB max upload, the problem went away. I'm still not sure if it was my router crashing or my cable modem...

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Felldownthewell said:
haha I saw this and thought it was refering to the entire internet...'specially after seeing [website name removed] being raided and so forth...

Oh well, the internet was fun while it lasted! :)

Oh, and about the crashing bittorent...what kinds of D/L and U/L were you getting? If they were obscenely high you may just be using all of your available inter-net-ness (bandwith).
Um, one was getting about 105 down. The other around 50.

I stopped the 105 one and the other one jumped up to around 80. Everything was fine until just now. It's went about again.

*waits for net to come back so he can post*

Frozone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
x86 said:
I have had the same problem. After I capped Azureus to 20KB max upload, the problem went away. I'm still not sure if it was my router crashing or my cable modem...
Well, I have BitTorrent set to a 20kb max upload, but there's nothing in it to cap the download.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Yeah, I've found limiting the upload speed can keep your router from being overloaded. The download speeds don't seem to matter. I cap mine at 30kb/s.

e

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
Frozone said:
Well, I have BitTorrent set to a 20kb max upload, but there's nothing in it to cap the download.
I've found that limiting my U/L speeds brings down my D/L speed, so I cap U/L at 40 and have an unlimited D/L...my internet has never crashed. Well. It has, but thats pretty random and generally has very little to do with Bittorrent and more with how much Comcast hates me on a particular day. For example when the internet died for 5 minutes during the the keynote back in January. gahhh comcast *shakes fist*.

Anyway, I have no idea what could be wrong; if you were getting 600k/b per second I would say you just overloaded everything but that dosen't seem to be the case.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Felldownthewell said:
I've found that limiting my U/L speeds brings down my D/L speed,
That's supposed to happen, in part to encourage people to upload as much as they can, rather than just give 5% of their total upstream capacity, while downloading as fast as others can send it. It's better for the hord-er, swarm. :p

And since everyone else is posting their upload caps, I went from 25KB/s -> 50KB/s -> 210KB/s, and I'm now running the AutoSpeed plugin in Azureus, which drops/raises the max speed dependent on ping times.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I have the same problem. I have a 1.5MBPS (or is it mbps?) cable connection and have downloaded from the net at around 130kb/s through HTTP. my upload is capped at 3kb/s and I get usually around 20kb/s on downloads. Yet my internet seems to die whenever I torrent. I changed my port from 9090? to 50000 via the advice from the above post so here's hoping it'll work.

PS limewire also seems to crash the net.