Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eusebius

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
Does anyone know anything about bittorrents or setting up bittorrent clients? I'm wondering if it's normal for the download speeds to be so much slower than the upload speeds. My download speeds rarely average more than 10 kb/s, often stuck at something like 4 kb/s, whereas my upload speeds are often between 30 and 40 kb/s. I have broadband; my provider claims a download speed of 8125 kb/s and an upload speed of 512 kb/s. I use Azureus; after using its configuration wizard, the Azureus settings show a maximum upload speed of 110 kb/s and a download maximum of unlimited. So why am I stuck at such slow speeds? My search for an answer comes up with explanations and tutorials that are way too technical for me. If there is room for improvement, I hope someone can walk me through a solutiion that even an idiot like me might understand.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
First of all you need to make sure you have whatever port your BT client is using open and forwarded on your router to the machine running the BT client. Then it's just pot luck. There is no guaranteed speed for anything, it's down to the number of seeders/peers you are able to connect to and how fast they are uploading.

edit: forgot to add to open whatever port you forwarded on your firewall too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.