Bittorrent on mac, please help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by loztheguru, Feb 13, 2008.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

Ive dabbled with bittorrent on mac several times and always come out bitter and confused. Ive used azureus, tomato and bitrocket and not found any of them succesful for various reasons, as I'll now explain

Azurues:
    This was probably the worst of the bunch. It seemed to work fine for around 2 minutes, then would stop and kill my internet. My downloads would stop, id be unable to browse the web etc, and whats worse it did the same for everyone else connected to the wireless. I set up port forwarding yet it would still tell me i had NAT problems etc.

Bit rocket: I quite like this client, but again it would only work intermitently with no apparent reason for it stopping.

Tomato: Didnt really like, too basic for me, and again never achieved decent speeds/worked for more than 20% of the time.

Im connected via a wireless connection, using a macbook and my router is a linksys wrt54gs.

Can anyone suggest a sollution as im at my wits end, and booting into windows for uTorrent usage is becoming a real bore.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Transmission! Its by far the best for those who don't need the complex stuff available only in Azureus.

3. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

yep tried that too! I liked it a lot but it suffered from the same reliability issues, e.g. more often than not it just didnt work. wounder.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Agree. It's fast and simple.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've never had a single problem with Transmission....

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

maybe you had an old version, transmission always is very reliable for me.

This is the newest version.

hope this helps, good luck!

7. sex--a--peel macrumors newbie

sex--a--peel

problems with azureus need help!!!

when i log in it says "it has failed to up date" and then a box comes up asking me to reset it, i have tried reseting it. but it constantly comes up and not matter how many times i reset it, it does not make a difference. i tried the help button....... that puts me through this web site that has about 3 sentences of instructions and i do not under stand what i have to do!

please help!!!!! :apple:

8. Mitou macrumors regular

9. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'm a Transmission user. I love how simple and effective the user interface is.

10. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I have tried transmission, but I am behind a draconian proxy and can't find a port to get a connection :(

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Sounds to me like your router has issues with BitTorrent in general. Generally they can be fouled up by too many connections from torrents. I think if you Google around you can find some advice regarding that matter. There is nothing (that I'm aware of) wrong with the Mac version of Azureus specifically that would cause problems.

12. methodmano macrumors member

My guess is that your router is being throttled by too many connections from the bittorrent client. It basically throws up at this point and needs to be restarted to clear the connections out.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Transmission has had some pretty serious issues in the past, but they seem to have corrected them in the latest versions

14. jhande macrumors 6502

Like Juan Moro says, Transmission is really nice, but boy! have they had problems in the past.

Now it's stable enough to be my only BT client.

15. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

What kind of internet do you have? Also, are you using a university connection? I know comcast is limiting torrent download usage, giving them very little bandwidth. Maybe your firewall is blocking something.

16. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

Azureus has worked perfectly well for years for me. Except when I first started using it.

Would act as you describe.

For me the fix was to go to the Preferences and reduce the number of connections it was allowing my Mac to make globally. Can't remember the number now because I have a different computer, but I think it was 230.

17. sex--a--peel macrumors newbie

sex--a--peel

i have got it sorted now thanks for the advice guys!

i have one other query, my laptop is never switched off always on either charging or running off the battery and my imac is also running off the same router as the laptop. this router is connected to a windows based pc and i am constantly downloading massive files on the imac which is also left on permanently. and as of late i have been having problems getting on to msn messenger and other messenger programs but it still down loads and i can surf which is really strange, also it messes the connection up between my blackberry, just cuts the internet out...... why is this does any one know?