BitTorrent On Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by huhwtfisthis?, Oct 23, 2008.

1. huhwtfisthis? macrumors member

huhwtfisthis?

I have tried a few times now to use the BitTorrent program, I installed it fine, used thepiratebay.org or something like that to find torrents, i open the torrent in BitTorrent and it seems to be downloading fine, then all of a sudden it stops and says there is an error, this happens every time I try to use it... what's the problem?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Where are you doing this (like a university?)
    What ISP do you have (Comcast?)
    What Bit Torrent program are you using? I'd try Transmission, it's pretty good.

It sounds like you may be being blocked, which makes a lot of sense if you are on some sort of public network like at a university where they like to block BitTorrent traffic. Also, some ISP's either throttle or (this is VERY of illegal) kill bit torrent traffic...
    Can't say for sure what your problem is, though.

More or less I'd say try a bunch of different options, like try it on a different network, then with a different BT client, then from a different tracker (try BTJunkie instead of ThePirateBay, for example). If the behavior changes, that can tell you a lot about what your problem is.

3. huhwtfisthis? thread starter macrumors member

huhwtfisthis?

well i have been using the bit torrent program from BitTorrent.com, i have comcast, and i was using my network at home... i guess i'll try Transition or just give up.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

hmm...... Ya, try Transmission. BitTorrent's client seems like it's going kind of legit, so they may block some "illegal" traffic, like what happened to Morpheous, Napster, and all that (went legal, means they don't get their sh*t sued, but they heavily monitor traffic on their clients)
    Comcast shouldn't straight up kill it or anything. If you are pretty new to BT and can't figure this out, I'd say stay away, because lack of knowledge as it were in the world of BT is how you get the crap sued out of you.

The link for transmission: http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php

Good luck, and be careful out there fellow pirate! YAAARRGH!!! :D

5. effer macrumors member

Get the Mac version of Azureus and enable RC4 encryption, with NO fallback options and cryptotracker enabled.

Options > Connection > Transport Encryption

See if that works. It helps with my ISP.

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

have you forwarded a port on your router for your LAN IP address? if you have then ignore this. if you dont know what this means then ask.

Use Transmission (sorry i just prefer it) best lightweight, native, cocoa OS X BitTorrent client. in its preferences under Peers check "Prefer encrypted peers" and "Ignore unencrypted peers".

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea I use Azureus, but either Azureus or Transmission would prolly fix your issue.

8. sjc83 macrumors 6502

sjc83

9. miiles macrumors regular

10. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Me too.