Bittorrent Problems - Help Needed

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
I am having extreme trouble trying to download files using the free bittorrent client Transmission. I am trying to download the Civilization IV Demo via the bittorrent link at MacGameFiles.com and it has never managed to exceed 6kbs. I am on broadband in New Zealand and downloaded via http usually yields speeds of 100kbs+.

I was under the conception that Bittorrent was meant to be faster than http or ftp downloading, but I have yet to see results.

Could this be to do with what time I download at?

I have been trying all evening NZ time, which is about midday onwards LA time. Should I try later on (eg early morning here in NZ, evening in LA)

My machine is in my sig, (I know, Civ IV won't run on it, I am downloading it for a different comp).

Help would be appreciated!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
there is definetely a FAQ on the tracker you dled your torrent from, should answer all your questions.

but, yes, its probably port forwarding issues.

Chris14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
Not sure what to do!

The instructions listed at the Transmission forum are indeed intended for US routers. I don't really know what to do as my router is quite different and not listed at the link on the forum.

Attached Pic- is this the right part in which to access port mapping?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Chris14 said:
The instructions listed at the Transmission forum are indeed intended for US routers. I don't really know what to do as my router is quite different and not listed at the link on the forum.

Attached Pic- is this the right part in which to access port mapping?

Help will be greatly appreciated!
I cant really help you out myself, as its all a bit beyond me I just followed the guide (i Have airport) and it worked. Im sure I saw a generic guide in there somewhere. Have a snoop around the link again and just check.