Bittorrents + Internet issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heygip, Mar 2, 2010.

1. heygip macrumors newbie

So I made the switch from PC to Mac just a week ago, and so far I'm really loving it. I was downloading some files through bittorrent so I could get my Mac up and running like my PC.

My first few days of downloading with uTorrent was just fine, a breeze. It wasn't until yesterday or so that I noticed when I started downloading all my internet usage would be focused on that download and the rest of my other apps that used the internet was immobilized (Firefox wouldn't load pages, Adium wouldn't allow me to log in, etc.)

I'm thinking it was some setting I was fooling around with that I tweaked to cause this, but I'm not sure which one caused this problem.

The other computers on my network are working just fine (as well as my iPhone when I'm connected on wifi) as I'm downloading, it's just my iMac. I even tried switching to a different client for BT managing--Transmission.

Any idea what's causing this?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    I'm getting roughly 20mb down, 3mb up.

When downloading it avg. 300kb/sec (a large file I'm downloading--could probably be because of seeders). But the smaller files like something that's 200mb, I'll download about 600kb/sec

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

5. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm not port forwarding. In uTorrent the incoming TCP is: 15937

Also these are the following setting I have set up:
    [​IMG]

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You have more than enough bandwidth for what you're trying to do.

Is Firefox just really slow or is it not working at all?

7. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

Not working at all. I even tried Safari and Google Chrome. Nothing loads. It'll act like its loading (the spinning circle on the tab) but then load that "failure to load" page (with the option to refresh).

I doubt Comcast is throttling me, since the other computers on the network run just fine.

8. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

The download speed's not horrible, just not sure why the download/internet usage for uTorrent works, but everything else fails (or is put on hold while until the download is finished). Really strange.

[​IMG]

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Maybe your ISP is throttling your connection?

You did just post that you're DL'ing music.

10. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

Drop your active transfers to 8 from 80

That's your issue.. You have no bandwidth left for anything else..

Francois

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have a similar problem my connection speed is around 8mbps down and 3 up. But torrents will never go over 300kbps and the rest of my internet is very slow. I have charter and I think they are throttling my bandwidth. Is there anything I can do to stop them, or trick them?

12. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Read the post again. Heygip is downloading at 600 kB/s (4.8 Mbps) on a 20 Mbps connection.

13. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

Well 4.66K or 3.7mb, but that's a quibble. There's no doubt that whatever bandwidth he has is being gobbled up by Utorrent, that's why he has no bandwidth left for anything else, which was his original concern. I would still drop down the number of connections to 50 per torrent (stock number) Also also limit the upload speed to 20K

I regularly get D/L speeds in the 600K range and still have no problem loading pages, however I have my transfers limited to 8 which I upped from the stock 5.

Francois

14. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

So considering the fact that only 20% of the total available bandwidth is actually being used is just nitpicking? Besides, that wouldn't stop other apps from working at all, it'd just slow them down.

Comcast has a horrid reputation for throttling BitTorrent users, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit in this case.

15. chill. macrumors 6502

cap your upload speed to 15 kb or so. you can't judge this issue purely on download speed because if your upload bandwidth is maxed out it cripples all networking because for most tasks you have to both download and upload

16. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

No, the quibble was the actual reported d/l speed was 466 not 600.. I suspect still it's the number connections relating to the traffic, rather than the actual thruput that is the issue..

But we shall see if any of the suggestions help as we are still waiting to hear from the OP..

Francois

17. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm rashly assuming that if the BitTorrent client said 600 kB/s it meant 600 kB/s. Even if that's actually 600,000 bytes per second, that converts to 600,000 / 1024 = 586 KiB/s (base 2), not 466. That's why I ignore it when troubleshooting, since the difference is negligible and there's no need to unduly confuse people.

Besides, Snow Leopard now measures file sizes in base 10 rather than base 2, so 1 GB really is 1,000,000,000 bytes.

18. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yep, stop pirating music.. :D

19. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

I see the discrepancy .. In the body of one of the post the OP talks about 600k, I was looking at the screen shot :)

The OP talks about internet programs not responding, that's no doubt a result of a lack of ACK's getting to the server.

The Alacoya network filters only throttle Torrent protocols, not HTTP traffic, otherwise it would be rather pointless, so even if the filters were doing exactly what they are designed to do, he wouldn't see the impact on his browser..

Having said that, I periodically have to reset my wireless Dlink router after a prolonged period of downloading as it slows down the network in general.

We are curious to see what the actual problem ends up being..Oh and OP if your reading, you should also encrypt, to beat those filters :)

Francois

20. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the help & feedback, guys.

Today I got around to resetting my router settings--and didn't have any luck. So I decided to just delete uTorrent + Transmission and reinstall. That didn't work.

I downloaded uTorrent ALPHA (rather than use the beta), and surprise, surprise... it works! I am now able to download and surf the net at the same time (all will still getting decent speed + decent speed for surfing)

Thanks BlueRevolution for sticking through with trying to help :cool:

21. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

Just because I am really curious (and somewhat lazy) did you try going back to the stock settings in UTorrent BETA to see if that helped?

Francois

22. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. the weird thing was, when I deleted the uTorrent, and reinstalled it again, the settings were the same as what I had edited--so I called my friend had him download uTorrent and tell me the default settings (besides the incoming TCP port) and I just used those. And still wasn't able to work around it.

I'm on the ALPHA now, and the settings are at default and I'm still able to download at decent speeds (600-900kb avg.) and still able to surf the web :D

So all is good. :)

23. heygip thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah.... Okay.. I just figured it out completely... :eek:

It's when I'm uploading that the rest of my internet stops working!! I just finished downloading something and then as it was uploading, my internet stopped working.... or rather, browsing/chatting stopped working. Everything in uTorrent was still downloading/upload

Anyone know anything about this? :confused:

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Browsing and chatting and just "using the internet" requires a bi-directional communication. The uplink was being consumed by uTorrent and left nothing for anyone else. Cap your upload speed in uTorrent.