Bizarre AEBS Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BulkHedd, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

Ever since the AEBS update I have been using my WD MyBook, plugged into the AEBS, for my Time Machine backup. I'm using a MacBook with 802.11n. It's been working fine.
    Over the weekend I decided I wanted to go ahead and delete all of my old Time Machine backups since they were not going to be accessible wirelessly anyway. So I tried to delete them via wireless and it crashed my AEBS. I had to unplug it to reset it. I tried it again and the same thing happened.
    So I disconnected the drive from the AEBS and deleted the old stuff via USB. It took a while but it worked.

Why would this have crashed the AEBS? I was unable to access it with my wired desktop and my wireless MacBook. My network was just down hard untill I rebooted it.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From my experience the AEBS does not play well with MyBook drives. I have two of them (slightly diff models each) and both cause the occasional hiccup in the AEBS requiring a reboot. I particularly notice that trying to connect to a FAT32 partition from an OSX machine brings the entire AEBS down whereas connecting from an XP machine doesn't.

3. anthonybsd macrumors member

What is the filesystem on Mybook? AEBS doesn't play nice with anything deviates from "Extended Journaled HFS".

4. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I'm using it for Time Machine so I assume that it is Extended Journaled HFS.

Everything works fine with Time Machine.

5. anthonybsd macrumors member

Did you format it yourself? Don't assume just because it works with Time Machine that it is (afterall it works on NTFS too).

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Time Machine is only supported on HFS+ drives. OSX cannot write to NTFS drives without 3rd party support.

7. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I did format it myself but it's been a few months.