Bizarre dimming screen on new Penryn MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emsemerald, Mar 4, 2008.

1. emsemerald macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed that the screen dims somewhat periodically for no apparent reason? I'm not sure if there's something wrong, or if this is some new backlit screen thing. I thought at first that I was imagining things, but it keeps happening. Any ideas?

2. pompadork macrumors newbie

Do you mean after short periods of inactivity?

3. txcdcky macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure it automatically dims or brightens depending on the rooms light source, any small change in the light or perhaps shadows passing over the sensors activate the screen adjustment.

4. tilman macrumors regular

That's a preference, under Preferences -> Display -> Options, "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep". It's trying to tell you that it's about to go to sleep.

5. triforcer macrumors newbie

the light sensors are hidden in the speakers, put your hands over the speakers to check out the dimming effect. it also lights up your keys too.

6. jiholl macrumors member

I just got new one also and noticed the same thing...I went to preferences-displays (not energy saver) and unchecked the auto dim in light conditions thing...and have not noticed it since then.

7. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Yea if you type with your hands over the speakers or just rest your hands there it will dim the screen unless you turn off the preference.

8. emsemerald thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. I guess I just had my hands over the sensor. Thanks!