Bizarre InDesign Problem!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Peter Kim, May 13, 2009.

1. Peter Kim macrumors member

I've been using InDesign for a few years now and have never had this problem before. I recently upgraded to CS4 and now the hold-spacebar-to-pan function does not work. Everything else is completely normal but this is something that makes it very frustrating to design! Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

3. Peter Kim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to "pan the view" which is done by holding the space bar while moving the mouse. I've used it for years and it's universal all across Adobe's products. The hand tool works fine and the spacebar functions normally with text. I can't even begin to know where the problem is coming from. I also use CS4 at work and have no problems. Any other ideas?

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Do you have any third party apps such as application launchers installed that use a spacebar combination as a hot key - maybe this is interfering with CS4 but didn't with your previous version?

5. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I had that problem with CS3; I belive trashing the prefs file(s) sorted it.

6. Peter Kim thread starter macrumors member

I deleted the "InDesign Defaults" file in Library > Preferences > Adobe InDesign > Version 6.0 > enUS. No luck.

7. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

~user>library>preferences>com.adobe.InDesign.plist

make sure indesign isn't running when trashing or it may generate a new corrupt prefs file when shutting down.