Bizarre issue with OS X started recently.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PinkyMacGodess, Aug 24, 2008.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Whenever I startup, I get the Downloads window that opens up just as the desktop becomes visible. It has a file named "abbrevlist.el" in it.

I can close the windows but there are other things that don't add up. The SMC Fan Control disappears from the top right area of the window. The root of 'Macintosh HD' reverts to being unsorted and the icons are larger than I usually set them. I can restart the SMC Fan Control and reset the defaults for the folders but I'm wondering if there is something more insidious going on here.

I don't what to blow the whistle and start screaming about a virus because I don't know for sure what is going on...

Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect a corrupted user. Try making a new user account, and see if the issue persists there. If it doesn't, something's wrong with that account. If it DOES persist, on the other hand, it's something more global, such as your SMCFanControl program, something in the global Library, or something in the Mac OS itself that's messed up.

3. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Now I notice...

Now I notice that the Archive Utility fires off and drops that file into the download directory and then opens the directory and highlights the file in the list.

I reinstalled the file and it's still happening.

I contacted the author of the smcFanControl and he's proving to be unreliable at contacting me back. Nice support...

I guess it's only a nuisance thing right now but I wonder what the future could hold. I wonder also if this is a bug in Mac OS X that is allowing this to happen.

I can't find any abbrevlist.el files on the entire hard drive which means that the file is in an archive <i>somewhere</i>... Where? It's not in 'Downloads'... Is there a folder somewhere that OS X treats like an 'auto exec'?

Also I've searched the system for 'smc' and found nothing. I'm running out of things to try...

4. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Still happening...

It's (the abbrevlist.el) got to be in an archive on the drive somewhere and it keeps happening. :(

I just ignore it now but I wonder what the cause is and if anything else is wrong... :confused:

5. Trip.Tucker Guest

Can you perform a 3 chime PRAM reset and post if it fixed the issue please.

6. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Fixed it!!!

A genius at the Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi fixed it!

There is a gz file called abbrevlist.el.gz that is a LISP file for emacs. Well, somehow OS X decided on its own to substitute the SMC Fan Control app with the abbrevlist.el.gz archive and thus everytime I logged in I got a fresh unarchive of that file.

Why did it happen? I guess if I knew the answer, I'd probably not be rubbing two sticks together in a vain attempt to keep warm... It's like 34 here and in the 60's in 'the valley'. :eek:

7. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised a genius would fix a "THIRD PARTY PRODUCT" problem...:D

8. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I think that it was more of a challenge than anything. The Geniuses denied knowledge of the fan control program which was either good acting or odd. I do like to have the creases in my clothes not be ironed out by my MBP. Not to mention the second degree burns on my thighs.

I did finally see the new MB and MBP's. The local Worst Try (Best Buy) doesn't have them out yet. I guess I wasn't as smitten witht hem as I thought I might have been. Is it my imagination or do the new ones open farther than the older ones? The rubber gasket was a surprise. Not liking the keyboard, although it was quite a fashion statement.

Having all of the ports on one side isn't a plus in my opinion. I liked the idea of being able to plug in my old wireless mouse dongle on the right side. Having the slot on the right seems good. You would think that putting a USB port on the right wouldn't have been a huge deal. My HP notebook, that is the bastard child and doesn't get taken many places lately, has the tray loader and two USB ports on the right side.

The 17" MBP's were set apart from the sexy new MB and MBP's. Near the oddly placed white MB. I looked for a black MB as a potential travel notebook (in case the department of Fatherland Suckerity decides they need it more than I do) and didn't see one.

I thought it would be love at first sight with the new MBP and that I'd grab one and dash out the door trailed by register receipts and a worried credit card company but I was able to fight the urge. Odd.

But all was good... Thanks to the Hagrid-esque 'Unic guru', all is well with my current system.

Was this a Unix problem? I don't know. I did get another glimpse of the Unix beast lurking under the sexy OS X exterior. The psychopathic person that no one suspects, until the neighborhood cats disappear... Now Time Machine won't backup my iMac... *SIGH* Why is everything apparently needing attention now...

Caffeine syndrome has set in...

I also did have a LONGER post that the timeout ate. No snickering and snarky comments...

I left the wiser, as always, and my psychopathic/sociopathic MBP has been put back right. ProCare showed its worth yet again...

Oh, one thing else, I really found the magsafe connector of the new MBP very compelling. I looked for the power supply seperate. I often use mine in bed and find the perpendicular nature of the current magsafe rather a bother to keep connected. Having it at an angle (and beefed up) is a fantastic idea. I'll have to look when they come out separately...