Bizarre Madden 08 graphics on Mac Pro with 8800GT

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by maccanuck2006, Mar 1, 2008.

1. maccanuck2006 macrumors member

Has anyone else tried Madden 08 on a new quad core Mac Pro with the 8800GT?
    I'm unning 10.5.2 with 2 gigs of RAM (4 more on the way) on a Samsung 275T monitor at 1900 x 1200

With the default graphics on, I'm getting bizarre looking graphics with banding and what appears like reflections on player's jerseys. The actual gameplay is smooth but everything just looks ugly. Its interesting that the players faces actually look OK.
    I've changed resolutions and textures a number of times with no avail.
    I'll try and get a screen shot off.

I have applied both updates from EA and have the latest system updates.

This makes me wish I had bought the XP version and run it in bootcamp....

2. cmaier macrumors G3

I get the weird "mirror" effects on the players' uniforms on my MBP Santa Rosa, too. Seems to happen when the weather is "sunny."

3. maccanuck2006 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm... interesting. I hadn't tried it on my MBP pro yet as I thought it may have been a hardware specific thing.
    I wonder if this graphic issue is specific to Madden or is it because of issues with Nvidia cards? Madden is the only Cider game I have but I haven't read about any problems like this with C&C3 or BF 2142.

I know that the 8600M GT card has been blamed by Asypr for the issues I've had with Civ IV on my SR MBP; apparently it doesn't do AA well (although I've had no issues with Halo UB).

BTW: rain also looks funny in Madden: they look like drops of mercury that are opaque rather than transparent like water should be.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

yeah, on my mbp the rain also looks like liquid metal. I think it's just bad texture mapping or something. I have tried other cider games that look fine.

5. maccanuck2006 thread starter macrumors member

Yup.....same on my SR MBP.

I'm surprised there isn't much more yelling and screaming about these artifacts on here or the EA forums. I think its unacceptable that the latest and greatest Mac hardware can't run this game.

6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Bought Madden 08 yesterday, and noticed that as well on my Macbook Pro. It bothers me, but having to deal with that is better than the constant crashing the game did in Vista.

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

<soapbox>

This (and as another poster mentioned other CIDER game titles with graphics issues) is why I dislike CIDER wraps and would rather have native ports. Native ports are designed with OSX in mind. CIDER is generic.

Earlier Madden had a text issue which was I believe fixed with an Apple graphics update. But still IMHO wouldn't have been an issue with a native port.

I believe someone said in the Spore thread, "what's wrong with CIDER?" and it's just simply a glorified poor mans WINE hack.

</soapbox>

A friend of mine in the office has the same issue on his MBP, it gets annoying after a while and he hasn't opened the game since it started happening.

8. jrnewhouse macrumors member

jrnewhouse

Just a heads up that the 10.5.5 update of OS X fixed the graphics problem with Madden 08 and the NVIDIA 8800GT. It looks great now.