Bizarre mousing problem...ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by promoose, Mar 1, 2015.

1. promoose macrumors newbie

Got a serious problem the started 5 days ago - I open my MBP, and the mouse will move, but not click. Rebooting doesn't help, fsck and hardware tests are both clear, genius bar guy reset the network preferences to default, no help. The only thing that seems to be different is that when logging in, an xfinity network login window appears as a stand-alone (not a webpage, etc.). We don't have Comcast. We disabled auto-login to networks, which didn't help. The affected machine is a late 2013 rMBP. No problems with a 2011 MBP, 2009 MacPro, an ipd mini, or 2 different iPhones.

Here's the thing - it only happens in our apartment, or right out front. If we walk across the street, about 50 feet away, and wake it, it will work fine until the next time I close it, even in our apartment. It's definitely not our network equipment. Anyone got any ideas?

2. romills macrumors newbie

Extra mouse

I had a similar problem, for me it turned out a mouse I didn't use very often had turned on and connected to the Mac, it was in a book bag and the button was pressed. If I was far enough from the book bag with the mouse the laptop worked fine.. Hope that helps

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Go where your mouse works and check your Bluetooth prefs for paired devices and see if any unintended mice are listed...

4. promoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that was it! The track pad for my desktop was connecting to my laptop, and had a book sitting on it.