Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Navigon works fine until I plug my Griffin PowerJolt SE into my iPhone. If Navigon’s running and I plug the Griffin into the iPhone (or start Navigon after I plug in) in 1 Minute the screen dims and then shuts off (like it would with any other app running) except Navigon *continues to run with the screen off. If I hit Home and slide unlock Navigon opens immediately and is tracking exactly where I am (not where I was when the iPhone shot off). It will then stay on and not dim or shut off. However the voice no longer works. Oddly even if I unplug the iPhone and close/restart Navigon (even days latter) it still exhibits this same behavior (cuts off in 1 minute and no voice). I must **power off the iPhone in order for Navigon to work correctly again.

* I do have one other App that can do this called iTrail. Although it keeps the screen on for about an hour before cutting it off and still running.

** Was using Navigon and powered off the iPhone (to reset voice and screen lock). Waited a couple of minutes (a mile or so) and pushed the power button. After the normal slow boot up (spinning wheel) I hit the Home key and slid the lock. Low and behold Navigon was still running (the same Navigation route) and was immediately at my current position (with voice and screen lock restored). How on earth could this be?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just bought the Griffin PowerJolt last night. I'm going to try it with Navigon tonight to see if it does the same.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just bought the Griffin PowerJolt last night. I'm going to try it with Navigon tonight to see if it does the same.

Please post what you find out. Also if anyone else is having this strange iPhone/Navigon/Griffin problem please post what you are doing.

D-Back

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
My Navigo/Power Jolt combination does exhibits the same behavior. I can remedy this by simply hitting the sleep button on the iphone, and then press it again to wake up. After reading some Navigon reviews, apparently it is a bug with the software itself, and will occur on any power source, not just a Power Jolt.

WChurchill

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
All working fine here

I recently used the Navigon/Griffin PowerJolt combo for two days of travel without incident. (iPhone 3GS 32GB)

Everything worked well. I had it in the Kensington Window Cradle with the Griffin Jolt hanging out the bottom. Plugged in at all times while in the vehicle.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My Navigo/Power Jolt combination does exhibits the same behavior. I can remedy this by simply hitting the sleep button on the iphone, and then press it again to wake up. After reading some Navigon reviews, apparently it is a bug with the software itself, and will occur on any power source, not just a Power Jolt.

After wake up does it still do voice "turn in 200 feet" commands? Mine stops voice and even if I hit the bottom left "repeat" key it doesn't speak.

Also I was under the impression that the problem was related to older "Firewire pin" chargers. I believe the Jolt uses the USB pin (or maybe both).

prominence

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I have the same issue with mine (iPhone 3G 16GB and Griffin charger). My guess is that when you plug in the charger, it resets whatever Navigon has going that disabled the screen from shutting off.

My fix? I go into Settings and set the screen to "Never" so it doesn't turn off. I know this may not be a fix for some, but I've learned to just make sure I lock the screen manually every time I set it down and I don't have to keep switching settings every time I want to use Navigon.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I have a Kensington LiquidAux and have similar (but maybe not exactly) the same results.

If I use Navigon by itself I have no issues. Th screen stays on full power indefinitely. If however, I start iPod music in the background (just hit play from the LiquidAux remote) it adopts the behavior of the iPod functionality. In other words, I then see the Navigon app, but it will dim and then go blank, renewing the brightness setting at each new song. If I leave the music playing, exit Navigon, and then go back into the app, it will stay at full brightness indefinitely again, unless I skip or rewind a track at which point it goes back to the dimming/display off cycles.

Interesting stuff. I assume it's a bug and hope they address it.

toss002

Suspended
Jul 16, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Has anyone tried plugging in the Griffin PowerJolt FIRST, then start Navigon app?

If as you say, plugging it in after did something to the app, then in theory--do it in reverse, should work.

zeeflyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
I get this too... except i almost always plug it all in then start up navigon and i don't tend to get the totally blank screen. It does however dim and is very annoying as it renders it almost impossible to see, every so often it will wake up to a bright screen of it's own accord or when i touch the screen.

I usually play music in the background too, so i don't know if that has anything to do with it

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hopefully it's a true software bug (and not a fixed hardware limitation) that will be correct next week.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.