bizarre problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattsajay, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mattsajay macrumors member

my ibookg4 suddenly is having quite a bizarre problem today. no problems till yesterday night.

1. i was running firefox and safari today along with ms-word and preview. the word file open was huge (~20mb, had lots of figures/pictures in it). and at some point during doing this, i wanted to save the word document that was open. and thats when for the first time, the 'spinning wheel' came on... subsequently, the computer become amazingly slow, like it would take 5 minutes to save the word document, displaying the " spinning wheel " all the while.

2. closing the word document and quitting word took like 8 minutes. i force quit all the program then.

3. finally, i rebooted the machine a couple of times and also did a filefault scan. i tried to go into the disk utility and tried to check for repair disks... but no avail.. the wheel keeps spinning...

any ideas what is the problem?

2. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

reinstalling OS

on a related note: does reinstalling the OS from a backup repair disk delete data that I already have on my hard drive.

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A469a Safari/419.3)
    it does if you chose the option to erase and install. there's an archive and install option there which saves your data.

however I am not sure you have to go that far. I am not 100% certain of the answer but I'd suggest starting a new thread with a more descriptive title and a bit more detail about the problem. perhaps in the mac basics and help forum and link back to this thread.

4. mattsajay thread starter macrumors member

thanks. Will do.