Bizarre, screw for the case somehow broke

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lampdeskchair, May 7, 2008.

1. lampdeskchair macrumors member

Lately I've noticed the left side of the case sorta squeaked a little when I handled it, and the case was actually pushing slightly out. Upon further inspection I saw the screw was somewhat lose. I took it out and found somehow it broke. I only got half of the screw, the other half is stuck inside the frame or whatever. The main part of the screw was just attatched to the case itself.

Really weird, I have applecare and would like to get this fixed eventually. Do they support weird crap like this? I have no idea how I'm gonna get that stuck screw out if I have to resort to doing this myself and even if I do I don't know where I'm gonna find a tiny screw to replace it...

All I know is that this squeaking it does when I touch the case drives me nuts....

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I'm sure they will... it's just a screw and they have the tools. A screw breaking is just really strange

HOWEVER - maybe i am stupid for mentioning this, but you do realize that the screws on the front left? (not sure .. maybe right, i can't remember) of the macbook case are REALLLLLY short so if these are what you are talking about, you may have just gotten a screw and it may just be stripped or something inside the frame. Because yeah, those screws are barely screws they are so short.

3. eugene.sparnon macrumors newbie

My macbook has done the same thing

Strange thing to happen i guess.
    Went to Mac store and the display models had the same problem

4. krye macrumors 68000

krye

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I read on a thread awhile back that there are a couple screws on the Macbook that don't do anything. They are just cosmetic. My Macbook did the same thing. It was really bad when I had my Kensington lock installed, it would pull out quite a bit.

Here is the thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=424614&highlight=loose

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

7. eman macrumors 6502a

The two screws on the port side are cosmetic.

8. kauthor macrumors newbie

You got to be joking me! Well, I just had that problem, so I will stop by the Apple Store when I can.