Bizarro Settings icon NON issue.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darrylcn, Aug 8, 2016.

1. darrylcn macrumors regular

I started with iOS back with my 3GS, and it sits here beside me on iOS 5.1.1 with the typical red 1 on the settings icon. My iPhone 5 is upstairs on 7.1.2 with the same expected/"learn to live with it" notification.

My 6S Plus, for whatever reason, only ever has this notification for a few days. I reinstalled 9.3.2 A few days ago since it was still being signed and the notification has again disappeared. I've googled this but the results I found were all from people asking how to get rid of the 1, is the ability to disappear new for iOS 9? I'm thinking it must be but I'm hoping to confirm. Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

If your phone downloads the update or gets notification of it then it will appear again.

3. darrylcn, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Right but deleting the update makes it go away. It's as if we have a choice now, so I was wondering if that's expected, or an iOS 9 (I've never used 8) thing. I've never seen the 1 vanish on my 3GS or my iPhone 5.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Simply deleting the downloaded update? I can't quite recall exactly at the moment, but having done this with the iOS 9.3.2 update not too long ago on an iPad, I don't think the badge disappeared after I deleted the downloaded update.

5. darrylcn thread starter macrumors regular

Very strange then. I've been through at least 3 OS installs (download the OS then shift click to restore) and it's persisted. Easily faked of course but here's what I've got as of last eve when I took these for my friend to show him:
    I have an available update:
    image.jpeg

But no settings notification:
    image.jpeg

And, as expected, it shows on my 3GS:
    image.png