Bizarrro RAM issue-newbie question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kcdude, Feb 18, 2008.

1. kcdude macrumors regular

Just got my MacPro and installed 4x2 OWC ram and moved the original 2x1gb. I put 2GB in Slots 1&2 of Riser A, 2GB in Slots 1&2 of Riser B and 1GB in Slots 3&4 of A.

I check system details and it shows 10GB Ram. I use the system for a few days...now I show 9GB of ram A1-2GB, A2-2GB, A3 512k, A4-512k, B1-2GB, B2-2GB. What's up with that? Is there something wrong with my installation? All appeared to be seated in the Riser. Help the newbie here...

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All four 2GB OWC sticks need to be in the top riser.

The 2 1GB Apple sticks need to be on the bottom riser in the 2 slots closest to the gold pins on the riser.

If that doesn't work I'd say there might be something wrong with the 1GB sticks.

3. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

?? I have seen numerous posts that suggest the optimal config is the setup that I used. Why would rearranging the ram make the system recognize it appropriately?

4. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

So I remove the OWC ram and install OEM 1GB in slot 1 Riser A and 1GB slot 1 Riser B....A1 shows 1GB and B1 shows 512k. I switch the two and then A1 shows 512k and B1 shows 1GB....do I have a bad ram stick?

I assume I only have one bad stick and when installed with the 8GB it matches the bad 512k stick with 512k of the good stick. If this is the case, why would it show 1.5 gb when I uninstall the 8gb?

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're right with the config. I read your message wrong.

As far as the 1GB sticks it sounds like that one that keeps saying 512MB is bad and maybe when you put it together with the other one it somehow drags the good one down to meet the memory of the bad stick. Are the 1GB Apple sticks ?

If so call Apple and tell them you have a bad stick.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

The way I put mine in is. Removed the 1 gig stick from riser #2 and put it in into riser #1.
    I filled riser #1 with 2 more 2x2 gigs.
    In riser #2 I put in 2 more 2x2 gigs.

I did this on Thursday Jan.14 and my Mac sees all 10 gigs from day one.

This is the way OWC installs it on the video on there site.

7. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

They are the OEM 1GB sticks. I talked with Apple this morning and they suggested I look at my Bootcamp partition to see if Windows recognizes the full 2GB when OSX recognizes it as 1.5GB....need to get home tonight and try it. They also recommended a SMC reset...they told me if the reset does not work and both OS recognize it as 1.5GB...then the will issue a replacement.

8. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Definitely looks like a bad memory stick.

And you were correct in your placement:

Riser 1:
    1: 2gb
    2: 2gb
    3: 1gb
    4: 1gb

Riser 2:
    1: 2gb
    2: 2gb
    3: empty
    4: empty

9. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

What will a SMC reset do?

I just read about how to do a SMC reset....funny thing is that I unhooked all the cables, power included for about 2-3 minutes to switch out the RAM...I assume I already did a SMC reset. Right?

10. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

This is an interesting thread because I'm experiencing RAM problems too. I just received my new Mac Pro last Friday and before I turned it on for the first time I immediately installed 8GB RAM that I ordered from OWC.

When I turned it on for the first time I immediately checked to see if all 10GB were recognized. They were, so that was all well and good. But after a few hours when I looked at "About this Mac" again I noticed that I was only running 6GB RAM.

I opened up the case and saw that a red light coming from one of the riser boards. After rearranging the RAM I learned that: the red light indicates a hardware problem and the light moved to the riser board where I moved the suspect RAM module to.

I wonder if the SMC reset might help...

11. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

I noticed the red light also...I will re-check tonight. I assume the red light means a Ram hardware issue or is it a Riser issue?

12. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

Because the light moved from riser to riser depending on where I moved the suspect RAM modules, I figured it meant a RAM issue.

BTW, have you tried running the hardware test? That was one of the first things I tried after I noticed the red light, but it kept on hanging trying to initialize so I couldn't run it.

13. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

No...how do I run it?

14. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

You'll want to double check the manual, but while in OS X insert Leopard disc 1 and reboot while holding down the D key (I think).

15. bigbird macrumors 6502

Hold down the C key

16. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

Well...new ram on the way from Apple. I get .99GB in WinXP. Installed both 1GB in slots 1&2 of Riser A and both read 512k. Installed in slot 1 of Riser A and B, it reads 1GB on A and 512k on B. I can also see the red light lit up on the riser for the bad stick. Guess we'll see how a few new sticks work...

17. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

Actually, I confirmed last night that on the new Mac Pros it is the D key.

Unfortunately, the hardware test utility is about as useful as a third nipple. It hangs my machine after the hardware probe is completed.

18. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

...about as useful as the Apple tech support recommendation of doing a SMC reset via a button that does not exist...I would be searching forever for that stupid button.

19. bigbird macrumors 6502

I didn't know that you could go direct to the Hardware test via the D key. I thought you had to boot from the install disk, thus the C key, and then find the hardware test in the install CD. I learned something new this morning. Thank you!

20. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

No problem. In all fairness I think it used to be C. :)

21. ChiaJesus macrumors newbie

ChiaJesus

OWC confirmed a bad module for me. They're getting an RMA set up for me right now so hopefully in a few days I'll have a replacement. Til then I'll limp along with 6GB RAM. ;)

22. kcdude thread starter macrumors regular

New sticks are in and I am back to 10GB...interesting though...they sent them to me with instructions saying send the old ones back or they charge me for the new ones. Yet the box labels were not the multi-labels that included the return label, I get an email confirming my shipment that says I do not need to return the old ones, and I have a cust service follow up call yesterday and he comments "it looks like they have already been returned".....sounds like I have me an extra 1.5GB of ram now....maybe I will order 1GB from OWC and put it in with the good oem stick for 12GB total...guess I should wait to see if they bill me first.