Bizonbox 3 and LG 5K

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Anders P. A., Nov 29, 2016.

1. Anders P. A. macrumors newbie

Anders P. A.

Will they work together?

...or does the egpu only accellerate things on the laptop display?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What video card do you have in the BizonBox? Check with it's specs and tell the thread what it supports!

3. Anders P. A. thread starter macrumors newbie

Anders P. A.

Well, I don't have one yet, but I was planning on getting the Nvidia 1080.

The reason I'm asking is that I asked Bizon support - just to make sure before my purchace. They gave me this reply... "The LG 5K screens only has Thunderbolt input, so there is no way to use it with the BizonBOX."

I see thunderbolt 3 connectors on the back of the Bizon box, and they also claim full support of the new Macbook Pros, so I was a bit surprised about this.

As far as I can tell the egpu will excellerate things on the laptop display which isn't connected directely to the egpu graphics card either, so that doesn't explain the 5K LG display wouldn't benefit from the egpu. It could be connected to another port on the Macbook Pro or the back of the egpu box. If there are graphics cards out there with Thunderbolt 3 connections then the LG 5K display could be connected directly to it. Then wouldn't it work?

4. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

The 5k LG monitor uses DisplayPort MST to drive the monitor, which is supported on the MBP on a single cable. However, when you use the eGPU, the GPU card drives the external monitor, which is standard DisplayPort. The TB3 ports are used to extend the PCIe interface from the MBP to the eGPU. It's designed to communicate with the eGPU or daisy-chained eGPU's. it's not designed to drive a monitor.
    The only way it would work is if the LG 5k supports dual DisplayPort inputs from the GPU.

5. Anders P. A. thread starter macrumors newbie

Anders P. A.

Thank you. I have much better understanding how this works now.

Are there really no graphics cards for the eGPU that support DisplayPort MST (coming?) - or is it just an Apple thing?

6. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

I don't know as I haven't done a lot of research on it. It seems to me that DP MST is a temporary interface until DP 1.3 comes out and the GPU's will support that instead.
    I am also interested in buying the Bizon 3 box to drive the LG. 38" 21:9 monitor for gaming.

7. Anders P. A. thread starter macrumors newbie

Anders P. A.

I do 3D visuals. I am a bit afraid that the 460 will not be able to drive the LG 5K smoothly during modelling.

Even if the bizon can't drive the 5K, I could still use it for GPU rendering. So it's mainly the monitor I am i doubt about, but I guess I could sell it again in january, when the price goes up again.

8. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

That should be possible. One USB-C port from the MBP to the monitor and the other connected to the Bizon box for renderer processing.
    I hope LG releases a 5k display that is not apple specific.

9. 3587 macrumors 6502a

So, the yet to be released BizonBOX 3 won't work with the '16 MBP and LG's 5K? What about any other eGPU's? I was really banking on this working.

10. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Currently there's no device that has been confirmed to work with LG's 5K display other than the 2016 MBPs.

What you need is a GPU with TB3 and DisplayPort 1.2 MST.

Once DisplayPort 1.3 is mainstream, it should simplify compatibility, but that's still a long ways off.

11. 3587 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I confirmed with BizonBOX that the LG 5K will not work with ANY graphics cards provided by them... Or any graphics card company at this time. Looks like I may have to keep my LG 38UC99 for this to work.

Waiting to hear how this BizonBOX will work with macOS and the 38UC99.