Bizzarre Macbook screen artifacting problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nickux, May 1, 2010.

1. nickux macrumors newbie

Strange issue I'm having with my 2007 Macbook. Running Snow Leopard 10.6.3. The screen begins to glitch out whenever the OS displays the shadows around window boxes and I get these bizarre artifacts.

I made a Picasa Gallery to show all the screenshots I took demonstrating the problem. What do you think? Please help this is a very strange thing that appears to happen almost randomly. Rebooting fixes it temporarily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nickux/MacScreenArtifacts?feat=directlink

[​IMG]

Colleen Kelly (of TWiT fame) contacted me through Twitter and said it could possibly be an issue of the GPU overheating and/or going back. If this is true does anyone know how much this kind of thing could cost to fix? Or is my Macbook totally screwed? A real shame too it's only been 3 years.

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Try resetting your PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379 first.

Other than that, I would say it's your graphics card overheating too.

3. nickux thread starter macrumors newbie

I will reset my PRAM. The overheating seems likely given yesterday was very hot where I was operating the Mac (90 degrees F). If the GPU is overheating I wonder if it's an issue I can avoid by limiting heavy use in a hot room or if it's just doomed to fail.

4. nickux thread starter macrumors newbie

update

So far I have reset the PRAM, reset the sys management, verified the disk through Disk Utility, and created another Guest account. The problem occurred on that too. I noticed it happens when I watch YouTube which is odd. That is a sure-fire way to trigger this. But I noticed it doesn't happen if I watch a Quicktime video. Very strange!