Bl**dy Computers!!! Disk Trashed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dazzer21, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

I came in to work this morning and booted up all my machines. The main machine I use is an iMac running 10.5.2. Next to this I have a Mac Mini (Intel) running 10.4.11. After using the Mini for a few minutes without any problems, all of a sudden all applications would quit after opening, rendering it all but useless. I could access all files, but just could not open anything.

Deciding that there was little else I could do, I re-started it from the Apple Menu. Upon re-start, the same thing happened, and the menu bar (just the top right side) was flashing.

I restarted again, this time with the install disk in the drive. I opened Disk Utility once the machine was booted from the CD, and upon running Disk Repair, it reported that the disk was unrepairable due to an underlying error.

I proceeded to re-install the OS and when it asked me for a volume to install to, the drive didn't appear, just the CD. Upon re-opening Disk Utility, the drive DOES show up, and re-running it (verify), it reports:

Verifying volume "Mac Mini"
    Checking HFS Plus volume
    Checking Extents Overflow file
    Checking Catalogue file

(then underneath in red)

Keys out of order
    The volume Mac Mini needs to be repaired
    Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

The next stage was to start the Mini in Target Disk mode and I was able to copy everything off it onto the iMac (including the majority (99.9%) of the System).

I think I know what the replies are going to be in as much that it'll be to erase the volume and start again. Then to copy everything back again. If that is to be the case, how can I keep all the settings for my software (for instance email address, FTP address settings etc)?

I'm *fairly* new to OS X and in 9 it would merely be a case of keeping the Preferences folder intact. I'm desperate! Anybody?

Thank you thank you thank you in advance...

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I'm no pro at this, but I know there is a playlist folder in OS X that saves almost all of your program preferences, but beyond that I do not know much about it.

As far as your e-mail goes, what is your domain? I can't think of a single instance where anything would happen to your e-mail, since every mail client I know of is web-based. Your FTP should also be web based, I would think, but I know nothing of that either.

Good luck on solving your problem!

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Not sure where you got playlist from but you should have a look at the Wikipedia entry for Property List.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Many of your programs settings are in the the "Preferences" folder located in your ~/users/username/library folder, not the root library folder. Your e-mail client may store it's databases and FTP settings in different directories (try googling e-mail programs name and manual backup).

After doing the copy I would replace the hard drive. If it failed once there is a good chance that it will fail again. To increase the chances of easily moving your files and settings over again I would put your old hard drive into a firewire enclosure and use the Migration Assistant to transfer files and settings. For 10.4 I think it has to be over firewire but I think this has been lifted in 10.5 due to the MB Air.

[rant]
    Then since you have multiple computers in your business buy a network storage device and make backups so that you are not in this position again. Plus you need a periodic secondary backup option to store files off-site in case of theft, riot, fire, storm, flood, hurricane and other acts of God. What would be worse losing all the companies files or a few hundred spent on backups. If it is not your company pose this to your boss.
    [/rant]

5. dazzer21 thread starter macrumors 6502

On each machine, all of our work files are saved on both the home machine and on a firewire external via Time Machine. Retrospect then takes care of backing up the contents of each drive to a cluster of hard drives for online retrieval at any time, and secondary copies to and external DAT drive for offline storage. So in that respect, all work files are safe.

The Mini is just used as a central email and FTP server - nothing strenuous. That way, all items sent out and received are on a single machine. Obviously we have access to all the original work files via all the other machines on the network; however the pain in the @rse at present is that in order to send anything out, it has to be done from each machine, or designate one workstation to send out from, which is not ideal.

Also, I require to retrieve the FTP server details and library of email addresses from the machine.