Black 3g with body cracks

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I am horrified to share this but after close inspection under bright light I have noticed very small "stress cracks" on my black 16gig iphone 3g. I got it on launch day.

they are very hard to see and look as if they are starting from the inside, working there way out. They are two "larger" cracks forming around the chrome headphone jack, and quite a few around the bezel. none of them being longer than a millimeter or two.

I have never dropped or bumped it and only take it out of it's case to charge it.

I would have included pics but I could not get the cracks to show up on my camera.

I fear that these cracks will start to grow over time so I want to take it in to be replaced because this is obviously an issue with build quality.

Have people been having luck getting these replaced at Apple Stores?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're the first I've seen reporting stress cracks on a black iPhone, but then that's probably because it's so hard to spot on black.

In any case, if they're visibile, you can probably get it replaced.

3. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

Unless they get big and become a problem, I see no reason to return the phone. Your phone is under warranty for a long time (no idea how long...it's more than a year though :S?) so just wait it out.

4. divang macrumors member

No point in returning, if it's forming cracks now and apple hasn't noticed the problem that means all build have this problem and newer runs still run the risk of forming htem in the future.

If it's a apple defect i'd wait till they acknowledge the problem and bring it then.

5. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

ahh, sounds like Microsoft and the Red Ring of Death. After acknowledging the issue they were very good about fixing it. I only hope apple will do the same.

the cracks are only noticeable under very bright light. however the chipped chrome around the headphone jack I can not live with. I am sure the chipped chrome is due to the crack.

6. johata3 macrumors regular

I will be shocked to see if I see any cracks on my Black iPhone 3G. I've checked it right after this thread and so far, no cracks.

I'm sure Apple will replace it, if it gets worse. You still have the 1 year warranty that comes with it.

7. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Update. I got home with my new crack free 3g. It seems like it gets better battery life than the first one. However, the hold/sleep button seems a little funny, it is almost flush with the plastic and does not have that "click" feedback like my first one, I never know if the button press registers unless I watch the screen go to sleep.

however it has the "light leaks" so back to the apple store we go. The "genius" kinda gave me a hard time about the cracks, they were small but I could see them with a flashlight. He said he looked at it with a magnifying glass and had 4 other people look at it and said they couldn't see anything. He did replace it.

hopefully this go round will be smoother. This time I am not leaving the store until i am done with a closer inspection!

Damn it that is 2 screen protectors gone to waste!

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Noticed that my friend's had cracks back when he got it a few weeks ago.

9. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You guys need to search the threads better. This thread has all kinds of people with black iPhones reporting cracks. About 30 some odd pages.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=525177
    :D