Black aluminum?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Savage, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

I really miss the old white/black plastic MacBooks. The white especially, was how you could tell a beautiful Apple product from something else. The aluminum design is definitely nice, but to me at least, it's kind of dull looking. I think a black version would look extremely slick. And it would be cool if it was exclusive to the higher end models like it used to be.

Who else would love to see a black aluminum version with the upcoming changes? (Assuming they keep the aluminum design.)

2. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i would. that color for the mbp would be nice.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would love to see this, but I'd have some serious reservations. The durability of the finish. I remember the days of the Ti Powerbook and the finish off the Titanium flaked off making it look rather poor.

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

My thoughts exactly it might be awesome looking new, but there would have to be such high quality that years of use doesnt ruin them.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

That would look epic, although i would like if it were optional for the middle model to be black as-well, well we will hopefully see soon.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

There were rumours last year of a black MBP, but there were issues with the durability of the finish.

7. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I dunno. Black or charcoal (gun metal) gray certainly looks awesome but I still believe black means more heat. I'd go with light color but black bezel on the matte versions.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Black is normally associated with better heat dissipation so it should run cooler.

9. Bear macrumors G3

I think it would be more interesting to see a Mac made of Transparent Aluminum. :D
    I think that black anodized aluminum will have a more durable finish than the TiBooks had. Also, it's easier to touch up black anodized aluminum than it was to fix paint on the TiBooks.

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As has been mentioned the rumors are that Apple did prototype black anodized Macbooks but wasn't satisfied with the durability of the finish.

As I understand it, the liquidmetal alloy that Apple has purchased the rights to manufacture allows color to be actually mixed in to the metal which would allow for durable colors.