Black and white or grayscale to scan handwritten notes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgrl, Dec 6, 2013.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hello all

I am wanting to convert my handwritten research notes from paper to an electronic form to save space in my office. And so I have access to them on my iPad

The majority of them are handwritten in black felt tip pen on white or yellow / legal pads.

I wish to store them as PDFs and don't need to have OCR etc. What is the best setting to use.

I have scanned some in black and white and it seems quite legible. Would using greyscale for hand writing be better? And just use b and w for typed documents?

2. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Better for what? If you are not concerned about getting the absolute smallest possible size then you are the best judge of what is better. I would say greyscale and then adjust the contrast to suit.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

You could just go ahead and try a few variations, eh? Only you can tell which will be easier to read.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I always scan handwritten notes in BW at 150DPI and it is more than clear enough for anything I need and gives me a fairly small file size per PDF.

5. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies..I have checked the scanning options on my brother all-in-one and there isn't a grayscale option..just text, black and white, color.

What is text for? verses black and white?

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Why don't you try it and see?