Black and White Photos

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hey. Im getting into black and white photography and really love it. I want to see some peoples black and white pics so that I can see how I'm doing... this is one of my favorites from Cape Cod:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That's a very nice black & white picture w_parietti22. Neither my wife or I recognize that restaurant. Where on Cape Cod, Massachusetts is it located?

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
wdlove said:
That's a very nice black & white picture w_parietti22. Neither my wife or I recognize that restaurant. Where on Cape Cod, Massachusetts is it located?
Its near Hyannis I think... We were waiting out side of spankys if you have heard of it.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
those are nice pics, it's something I've wanted to try to experiment with myself...what camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Eluon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Spring, Texas
Nice Post

I like this thread. Here is one I took of a cab in NY, and one of a building in downtown Shreveport, LA. The other is just for kicks. My friend and I held up vaccum accessories and flash lights. I drew the light sabers in on photoshop.

Enjoy

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Zman5225 said:
those are nice pics, it's something I've wanted to try to experiment with myself...what camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Im using a Canon PowerShot SD110. Very simple camera. Im just using it until I can afford a $600 camera :D. Then in iPhoto I use the B & W funtion and add a little contrast... It works for now.

PS- That camera has been replaced by the PowerShot SD200

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Do you recall where that building was located at in Shreveport? I was just down there last week.

If you go back, try to find this building! I believe it was just south of downtown.

Attachments

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
840quadra said:
as you can tell by my Avatar and other posts. I am a car guy :)

This is a picture I took :)

Nice! Im a car guy to... hmm lets see from front to back:
BMW 3 Series (I love that car)
VW Passat
Volvo V70
VW Jetta

Am I right?

great pic too :D

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Eluon said:
I like this thread. Here is one I took of a cab in NY, and one of a building in downtown Shreveport, LA. The other is just for kicks. My friend and I held up vaccum accessories and flash lights. I drew the light sabers in on photoshop.

Enjoy
Great photos and wonderful photoshop job! looks great!

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Eluon said:
Taxis are characterized by their bright yellow color. By taking a black and white photograph of a taxi, you've essentially taken away its essence.

cslewis

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2004
40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
1. victorian homes on main street, kutztown pa
2. kutztown fairgrounds, college boulevard, kutztown pa
3. welcome sign, main street, kutztown pa
4. service memorial, kutztown park, kutztown pa
5. library concert sign, kutztown park, kutztown pa

Attachments

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
mac_head101 said:
1. victorian homes on main street, kutztown pa
2. kutztown fairgrounds, college boulevard, kutztown pa
3. welcome sign, main street, kutztown pa
4. service memorial, kutztown park, kutztown pa
5. library concert sign, kutztown park, kutztown pa
Im not big on the signs... I like the 1st one though.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
This is one of my few and favorites. Taken on an island off Thailand. The sun reflected a lot off the sand and my darks don't blend in to well. I've played a little in Photoshop trying to improve it. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

jon

Attachments

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
iJon said:
This is one of my few and favorites. Taken on an island off Thailand. The sun reflected a lot off the sand and my darks don't blend in to well. I've played a little in Photoshop trying to improve it. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

jon
Very nice picture

I redid the picture in Elements:

What do you think? I basically added some more contrast.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
w_parietti22 said:
Very nice picture

I redid the picture in Elements:

What do you think? I basically added some more contrast.
Looks better to know. I knew something could be done to it, I'm just enough of a photo editor to know what to do.

jon

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Working in digital can be great. The following shots were done with my Canon Rebel XT to my recent trip to SF. I had the JPEGs in B&W and the RAW was there for color.

I like the flexibility to decide later what works best for the image.

I have about 5 more ready to share if there is interest.

Attachments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.