Black and white screen on machintosh classic II

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Neaneajustinish, Mar 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Neaneajustinish macrumors newbie

Neaneajustinish

hi , i just bought a machintosh classic II for a really low price and it is very new . However when i switched it on i found that it only shows a screen with black and white stripes. I used contact cleaner to clean the motherboard and it still doesn’t work . Any solutions ? Thank you !

Attached Files:

2. AngerDanger, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

One of my favorite YouTubers had the same thing happen.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That is 100% symptomatic of bad capacitors on the logic board-a problem for which the Classic and Classic II are notorious.

Sometimes washing the board will bring it back to life for a little while. Otherwise, recapping really is the only permanent fix. The boards are big enough that it's not insurmountable, or there are a handful of different folks who will do it for you.

Honestly, though-I hate to say it but I had a Classic with bad caps and ended up just looking for one with a bad case that worked and swapping the boards as Classics aren't worth enough to pay someone to recap. I'm lucking in that my CII works on its original caps.

If I hadn't found a replacement LoBo for my Macintosh II, it absolutely would have been financially viable to recap and some others(IIfx, Quadra 840AV) are no brainers.

One last thing-if the battery has leaked, you can probably write off the board completely and just need to hunt for another.

4. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

5. Atomic77 macrumors regular

Atomic77

I had one of these as my first computer a long time ago. It worked great but one day it completely died and could not be saved.