Black Anodised Aluminium

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Harrycooke, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Harrycooke, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

Harrycooke macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

Am I the only person who would want a black anodised aluminium rMBP? Like the same as iPad mini & iPhone 5? I like uniformity.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes, you might be in the minority on this one.

Steel is very heavy. Apple will never use that for the MacBook Pro unless they want the title for the world's heaviest laptops.

3. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Black anodised would look seriously good, however would rather they stuck with aluminium rather than steel, would be too heavy otherwise.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

As the others here have pointed out you're probably thinking of Aluminum, since that's what's used for the Macbooks, the iPad, and the iPhone.

I'm pretty sure that the Macbooks are already anodized, it's just a silver color so they still look like aluminum (because raw aluminum oxidizes when exposed to air).

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

6. auhagen macrumors regular

Well I once found a firm on the internet that sold the old MBP's with many colors. I think its 6 months since i looked last.

I found them on google. But you'll pay a premium for it.

Maybe they startet selling black MBPr as well :)

I cannot give you a link or a name, as I simply cannot remember it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Colorware.

9. darkcoupon macrumors regular

Colorware has been doing custom powder coating and painting forever, they gained a lot of popularity doing it with the original iPhone...but they don't do anodizing as far as I know.

A slate black aluminum rMBP would look really great, but I can only imagine the headache after seeing every single nick and scratch like you do with the iPhone 5.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The iPad Mini, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro are all made of aluminum, what Apple likes to call aircraft grade (which is probably another way of saying either 6061-T6 or 7005-T6 alloy).

To the poster than mentioned aluminum oxidation: It needs to be pointed out that aluminum oxide is actually beneficial. Contrary to Ferrous oxide(AKA, rust), it only affects the surface of the part, never to go deeper than a few thousandths of an inch, and is much harder than the aluminum itself. In short, aluminum protects itself from wear and tear and chemical attacks through oxidation. Even fresh out of the factory, aluminum oxidizes nearly instantly.

Steel, and most ferrous metal do not react very well to anodization, most are usually galvanized, coated or painted some way or another.

Steel is also roughly 3 times heavier by volume than aluminum is, making it a poor choice of material to construct the body of a laptop, as it would increase weight dramatically, especially in the 15" models.

Add to the fact than even the best stainless steels are not impervious to rust, and you get an overall very poor choice of material for any mobile device, unless it needs to be extremely strong physically.

11. Harrycooke thread starter macrumors 6502

Harrycooke

12. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

lol no one anodizes steel...what in the heck are you guys talking about

13. Ploki macrumors 68020

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go to colorware, they'll do that for you.

I'm in agreement it would look sharp :)

15. Ploki macrumors 68020

they seem to color coat it, like, with color.

I won't be doing that though.

16. PM Harold Saxon macrumors newbie

Something a little less damaging...

Or, you could simply use a solution like Plasti-Dip that won't permanently ruin your aluminium.

I know from experience that Apple will not accept your computer for warranty repairs if you permanently change the colour of the aluminium.

They literally liken it to changing the motor of your car.

Hence why I Plasti-Dip.

If I need to do book in a Genius appointment to get a warranty repair done, I simply peel off the Plasti-Dip, hand it in, then Plasti-Dip it again.

So, look for a solution that won't make your friendly neighbourhood Genius cringe with fear.