Black anodized aluminum in the future?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i'm.huMAC, Feb 26, 2013.

1. i'm.huMAC macrumors newbie

With the trend that Apple is following now (black anodized aluminum on their iOS devices), do you think we'll see be seeing this translate to their notebooks in the near future? I'm actually hoping they do this.

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Base models standard silver.
    Upgraded models black and slate.

Dammit. They're totally going to do this.

...and it's going to work.

3. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

I hope not...Especially given that the Black version of the iphone5 scratches just by looking at it...lol

4. MacKid macrumors 6502

5. LachlanH macrumors regular

I remember back to January 2011, everyone was convinced the new Macbook Pro's would be black. Sadly, they were not.

Still.........it would make sense for apple to trial it on smaller devices (ios devies) before moving that technique to the full sized laptops. Would unify their product design language as well.

A Black, Retina 13" MBP with Haswell GT3E graphics would be pretty tempting...

6. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

I'll wait for the unbelievable Black Liquid Metal Macbook Pro.:D
    No scratches, baby!

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I hope so, i wish.they had a built to order color choices

8. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Oh my God. I hope they don't do black unless it's an option. Black would look horrid. I don't see it going that way, the look is well established and it has a lot of product placement in the media.

9. MacKid macrumors 6502

It goes without saying that Apple has always tried to move ahead of trends in the industry (or set them), and the same is true of design. Everyone (HP, Dell, Acer, ASUS) has started to catch onto figuring out how to make anodized aluminum look great. This particular "look" is already 5 years old, and has vestiges of the PowerBook G4s (2001? though in fairness those were painted, not anodized).

Being iconic only has currency in the market so long as its still unique. I'm not saying they're going to unveil Slate & White Airs with Haswell, but it wouldn't shock me. And I'd kill for a Slate MBP.

10. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

HP in particular has done their best to copy the MacBook's design language down to blatant touches like a lit logo on the lid. It doesn't make the MacBook any less distinctive. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That said, I'm fairly certain that the hugely overblown backlash to the black finish on the iPhones (I say overblown because mine is going on 6 months old without a single visible nick, though obviously this is anecdotal) is going to prevent them from attempting this on a product with 100x the surface area. Which is just fine with me, since I feel that an all-black computer would lack the contrast that makes the MacBook design so attractive.

11. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, almost every other laptop is black. I want an array of colors like the iPods!

12. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If they went with a slate/black MBP, I wonder if they'd switch the bezel on the standard aluminum version to white?

13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Agreed, the black finish on my launch day iPhone looks great too (it's more the chamfer that's starting to show some nicks). The aluminum back has been naked for much of that time, and I don't see any blemishes.

And a MacBook I assume doesn't go through nearly the same abuse a phone does. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some engineering samples of a black aluminum MBP case floating around right now.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I believe Apple already tested this internally on a macbook. The verdict was it took on too many fingerprints and looked like crap so they canned the idea.

15. Fissure macrumors 6502

Mac laptops used to be black, remember the PowerBooks?

16. MacKid macrumors 6502

And a lot of Apple computers used to be colored, too. =D That doesn't necessarily mean we're going to see a blueberry Mac Pro when they get around to refreshing it, though.

17. nickoras macrumors newbie

nickoras

I love that to happen!

But the new iPhones scratch so damn easily !

So many PCs are looking so similar the anodized aluminum look of MBPs now.
    I totally miss the black MacBook. My cousin upgraded to an Air but won't sell her MacBook because she loves the look!

I would not like the MacBook Pros and Airs to look like the new iPod touches.... i hate those multi-coloured iPods.

18. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

black aluminum i can deal with but please no polycarbon plastic junk. they had so many cracking issues and broken hinges and all sorts of issues i dont want to deal with.