Black Bar that describes what I'm doing and wont go away

Discussion in 'macOS' started by josephine123, Sep 15, 2010.

1. josephine123 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a really new mac user, totally clueless and I just loaded Snow Leopard. All is going great except this stupid black bar with white text that is constantly on my screen and tells me what I am doing or where my cursor is.

i.e. 'You are currently on a close button'.. or 'Quit iTunes'.. or 'File 16 items'

I hope this makes sense and it's probably really basic but what is this?? and why is it here? It is flamin' annoying and I can't click on it to get rid of it or find preferences etc.. any help greatly appreciated

2. tpg macrumors regular

It's probably voiceover that's been turned on by accident. Go to system preferences, universal access, and turn it off there.

3. Queso macrumors G4

Although I'm not sure of the feature name it sounds as if the Universal Access panel in the System Preferences has something enabled. Check in there.

EDIT : It's the VoiceOver Caption Panel. So definitely Universal Access is where you need to go.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep, it's System Preferences > Universal Access > Speech > Voice Over.

5. josephine123 thread starter macrumors newbie

As simple as that... thank you all, you're awesome!!!!

6. CristinaMaria macrumors newbie

CristinaMaria

--- Post Merged, Jun 14, 2017 ---
    Thank you so much! My cat loves messing with my settings! I have to hide the keyboard and track pad every night!

7. Helpful Hints macrumors newbie

You Can just Click these Buttons at the same time(for mac): command, fn, and f5 will do the trick
    --- Post Merged, Aug 10, 2017 ---
    Just click command fn f5