black book ram upgrade issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spikeb122, May 20, 2011.

1. spikeb122 macrumors newbie

I just went to upgrade from factory 2gb to 2x2gb. the new modules are DDR2 PC2-6400 mac compatible. when i put them both in and turn it on, the light turns on but no activity, when i put 1-2gb and 1-1gb it works. I know it's not a bad 2gb unit, because i tried both 2gb cards. running rember (testing stability):

Rember Test Results

All tests passed! (i only ran one loop)

According to macrumorguides:
    "All models until April 2008: DDR2-667 MHz (PC2-5300 or PC2-5400) SODIMMs, two slots.
    iMacs released between April 2008 and February 2009 use DDR2-800 MHz (PC2-6400) SODIMMs."

1. I have a blackbook 4,1 and according to wiki released feb2008, is this the reason i can't use the 2x2gb units?
    2. Is my system unstable using the 1-1gb and 1-2gb?
    3. I thought it would just clock back from 800hz to 667hz when the ram was faster than the system?
    4. should i be running more loops?

any help would be appreciated

2. cpichado macrumors newbie

I think you need PC5300 RAM.

I also own the Black MacBook 4,1 (2008), and was going to purchase my RAM from here (2GB currently installed):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

I'm sorry if that's bad news, but hopefully it clears stuff up?

3. qvz23 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook black as well, I took it into a MacTech and was told i can only run 1-2gb =3gb ram its working fine. They told me 2-2Gb cards the system will not accept due to overlap in memory. I cant remember when i bought my mac if it was late 07 or early 08. Can anyone tell me how i can identify the model type of my mac black (if its a santa rosa model or not) and what year it was manufactured?

4. spikeb122 thread starter macrumors newbie

tits

go to apple (top left) -> about -> more info, it'll give you probably 4,1 since the blackbook was a special edition it's probably the same as mine, not sure what clairfies the santa rosa ? not sure what that is?

-- is it specifically the blackbook that can't run the 2x2gb because they're supposed to run up to 4 and 6 verified by 3rd party sources.

and for the:
    "I think you need PC5300 RAM.

I also own the Black MacBook 4,1 (2008), and was going to purchase my RAM from here (2GB currently installed):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/DDR2/

I'm sorry if that's bad news, but hopefully it clears stuff up?"

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to beable to clock it back, yes the bus is the driving decider but it's supposed to be able to clock back if i'm not incorrect, i may be it tends to happen.
    --- since the install i've run the stability program several times and havn't come up with issues, though i have had problems with flash since i've installed, even if i go back to the 2x1gb (original configuration) i still have problems with (some) flash gaming. Is this a permanent, i woulda figured it woulda reverted it back

5. rohan.shah020 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a black 2.4ghz macbook (early 2008) - I am able to run 2 x 2gb (4gb total) seemlessly.

Maybe take it into an apple store, so they can assist you.

Good luck :)

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I've also got a Macbook 4,1 2.4Ghz blackbook.

I went through a bunch of compatible ram to upgrade it from 2x1Gb to 2x2Gb. I bought ram from Crucial that was the right spec but 2x2Gb never worked, only 1x2Gb + 1x1Gb worked. I returned them but the replacements didn't work either. I bought generic ram from another supplier and that didn't work either.

In the end I bought some Kingston ram that was marked as being for the Mac which worked perfect. It was exactly the same spec as the previous ram I bought but this worked - I still don't understand why the other ram didn't work but I'm just glad it's running with 4Gb now.