Black border not staying/gluing down.. PHOTO/VIDEO

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ARK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ARK, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011

ARK macrumors 6502

Just got my iPad2 16g wifi. While looking at it from the side I can see two raised areas where the glass is not fully seated with the aluminum bezel. One being at the top by the camera and the second just to the right of the home button.

When I push down on the area by the camera it slightly pushes down but thats it. When I push down on the black border to the right of the button it pushes down more then the top but it also makes a clicking sound once I release it. As if the glue hasn't/isn't adhering to the glass. If I hold the glass down in that area for a while it stays down but eventually will raise back up.

Anyone else had this? :confused:

2. blueridge macrumors 6502

blueridge

i dunno but you should call or take it in for replacement.. i wouldnt keep one like that myself.. good luck

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

First I've heard of that issue. Definitely take it in. (and don't fuss with it anymore than you have to so you can avoid any claims that you were trying to remove the screen :D )

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

it's interesting though. some of the most common complaints about light bleeding seem to be to the right of the home button. perhaps their manufacturing process is really bad at gluing that area and either puts too much pressure, causing light bleed, or not enough cause the panel to unstick (like in your case)

can't wait to see what happens when someone leaves their ipad in the car on a hot summer day. gluing the glass on seems like a bad idea to me, but what do i know.

5. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I currently have it placed between two books (wrapped in the plastic it came with) to see if that helps the glue stick. However, it also has some of the yellowing of the screen in at least 4 areas like some others have noted. I may take it back Friday.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Funnily enough, this was something that I thought about when watching the iPad2 teardown videos.

during my lifetime I've had one or two products that have been held together with glue and on rare occasions, over time, something had come loose.

Thinking about how hot things get in the summer, esp when they are black, did actually make me think about this glass just being stuck down, with some high tech adhesive as opposed to clips, or something else more REAL so to speak.

I just hoped that every test has been done to ensure it's a solid connection.

Then again, a little thought is in my mind that Apple knows they, themselves will need to pull this glass away from the glue when it comes to refurbs/repairs, so they can't make it THAT permanent an adhesive else it would be hell for them.

Personally, I guess, I'm not a fan of the "Throwaway" design of the iPad2.
    It feels more like a disposable item, this model, esp when you look at the way iPad1 was put together.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Don't bother trying to fix it yourself. It's clearly defective. Messing with it runs the risk of doing something that voids the warranty. Just take it back for an exchange.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

just take it back, you should have to try to fix the problem

9. Gil22 macrumors member

thats where mine is too, next to the home button

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Rub some oil on it and put it under your mattress for a few days.

11. jaimeastin, Mar 16, 2011

jaimeastin macrumors regular

Well, I bought mine at best buy and I noticed after opening the box that my bezel was damage and the glass edges where chipped... I took it to the apple store and told them specifcally that i was not trying to return/exhcange but wanted warranty support. They agreed and even pointed out more damage than i found... This was out of the box damaged... So they are going to do a warranty exchange. They told me that when they receive stock to sell, they also receive stock for just this purpose will have my replacement in the next few days.

I advise you to call apple or go to the apple store... DONT WAIT ANY LONGER! The more time you give them, the more it looks like you did it yourself, unless you can prove your time of ownership, time reporting it, and such... If you purchased it from another retailer... Good luck explaining to them as they will prob not do a thing about it. This is why you contact apple fore WARRANTY SUPPORT. This a manufacturer defect.

12. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered it online from Apple and just received it today. I haven't even gotten to use it yet. Geez. Genius appt. made for 6:20 pm Friday.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

A few months ago I decided to buy myself an iPod nano (6th generation) and long story short, I had it replaced 3 times because on all 3 the screen would not stay on about after a week because the glue would come undone. The 4th one seemed to be doing good, but I told myself that if the first 3 went bad just after a week that I didn't want to risk it with the fourth one, so I returned it.

I read ifixit.com's tear down of the iPad 2 last week and I noticed that they said that Apple chose to use glue to hold the screen down and not clips like on the first iPad, that is making me a little worried since all of my nano's starting coming undone just after a week or so.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Teardown/5071/1

14. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Supposedly Apple is using higher quality glue this time around:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...t_of_apples_ipad_2_touchscreen_up_to_127.html

but who knows if it's effective.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. dmb420 macrumors member

OP, make a genius bar appointment and exchange it.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

On this subject.............

I've not seen a very up close pic of the edge, end on view of how the glass comes into contact the with iPad's Aluminium body.

I know it's stick down, but is there a small gap all the way round the outside, between the underside of the glass and the top lip of the aluminium?

18. ARK, Mar 16, 2011

ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

Genius appt. is Friday at 6:20.

Imagine looking at the iPad from the side and noticing that the glass/black gasket between the glass and aluminum frame bulges up slightly higher just right of the button. Pressing on this area slightly pushes it down and when you lift your finger it makes a noise like a click/adhesive noise. The noise exists about a 1/2 inch to the right of the home button. If you go farther right (1 1/4 inch) where the glass and gasket sit more flush the noise isnt there.

Get a piece of tape and touch your finger to the sticky side then quickly lift it off the tape. Its the same noise.

EDIT: It appears this raised area is to the left but above the speaker area.

19. ARK thread starter macrumors 6502

It has a small gasket similar to the iPhone 3G and 3Gs.

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

21. fop91 macrumors newbie

Sorry about yours. I just checked mine but it is ok. Thanks for the post.

22. ahbo macrumors member

23. MasonH macrumors member

There's been at least one or two reports of the same thing over here. I figured it was a new feature: press or tap glass to click... you know, like on a laptop;)

Good luck on your new one (certainly won't get any swap resistance on this issue)