Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bikerchick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
When I shut down last night before my Mac went off, I got a big black box in the middle of the screen telling me to hold down the power key for a few seconds in 4 different languages. Did that and Mac went off.

Never got that before, what is that?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It's called a kernel panic. It can be indicative of software or hardware problems. As always, make sure you have an up-to-date backup and save frequently, but I wouldn't fret too much about it unless it happens regularly.

Attachments

• osx-kernel-panic.jpg
    osx-kernel-panic.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 486

bikerchick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Black box warning on shutting down

Thanks so much BlueRevolution for your answer. I do back up all the time but is there anyway if this does happen frequently that I can run a check on hardware or software.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Open up Console.app (Applications>Ultilities>Console.app) and read the logs. It may point to where the problem is. Or post the results here for us to see.

bikerchick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Black box warning on shutting down

Here's what my console said this morning when I logged onto it.

Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
2010-02-16 06:52:37 -0500
/Volumes/Firefox/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin: can't map file: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin ((os/kern) invalid argument)

I shut down last night and no kernal....

Cheesybloke

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
I've had the black box twice in the space of 2 days and now my MacBook won't even turn on, it just hangs on the grey screen. I haven't got any backups as I purchased it second hand off eBay. Does anyone know of a way by which I could retrieve the data, or restart my laptop.

I'm not bothered if it's knackered but would love a way to retrieve the data.

Any assistance would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.