Black Cloth, Mistaken for Mousepad...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Phtosynthesis, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Phtosynthesis macrumors member

When I bought my Alum iMac, I thought the black cloth included was a mousepad, and I have been using it since because my mouse doesn't work on my glasstop. Anyway, I read that it is a black cloth used for cleaning the screen, and I was wondering if I should wash it and use it to clean the screen. Also, does anyone recommend a good, inexpensive, black mousepad I could find somewhere?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This is a tough one. Were it my screen, I know it would be jealous after the cloth had been rubbed all over by the mouse, especially if it were wireless. Washing it is a must. Then again, you could just go on using it as a mouse pad, not wash it and leave the screen as it is. If I come up with any other ideas, I'll come back and edit my post.

kthxbai

4. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

Yeah, glad someone started this thread as well. I thought is was a really strange envelope to store the backup Leopard disc. What do I know?

Hadn't thought of it as a screen wipe cloth...that makes a lot more sense than my idea. Having said that, I don't dare use it unless someone here posts that they've already tried to use it and didn't cause any harm.

5. mickhyperion macrumors regular

mickhyperion

It's not a screen cloth either!

It's a chamois (pronounced shammy) for polishing up the aluminum.

It's too dry and abrasive for the previous plastic screens, but may be ok for the new glass screens. For best results, buy some cleaning cloths that come pre-moistened with an appropriate cleaner for that type of computer screen.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I like to use mine to polish the hubcaps on my Buick.

7. overcast macrumors 6502a

No it's not, the screen is glass and the panel is behind it. You aren't going to scratch anything with that. It's for wiping down the display. You honestly believe a soft cloth is going to polish aluminum, and that they actually included it for this purpose? lol, cmon man.

Those "recommended" cleaning clothes are a bunch of nonsense. Use a damp(water) microfiber cloth, something like that included with the iMac on normal LCD panels.

This forum is seriously full of misinformed people.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

LMFAO. My MX Air came with one of these. I thought it was silly to include but never thought it a mousepad.

9. Phtosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

I don't see how someone doesn't understand my mistake? It's square, looks like a mousepad, and has two different textured sides. Oh well, I have micofiber cloth to clean my screen anyway, but I just need a mousepad, since this one is starting to bug me.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I've yet to see a cloth mousepad but OK. Wouldn't it keep getting bunched up whenever you moved the mouse?

Wait I just tried it and my mouse won't even budge on it.

Both sides of my cloth have the same texture. One just happens to have an Apple logo on it.

11. TimJim macrumors 6502a

12. divedude macrumors member

divedude

Page 63 of the booklet that came with the iMac sys it can be used to clean the display and the scroll ball of the mouse. So maybe he just found another use for it ;)

13. Phtosynthesis thread starter macrumors member

It works fine as a mousepad, but whatever guys. No point in arguing further.

14. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

15. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

To me, it was pretty clear it was to be used for wiping the screen, but obviously you've found another use for it, so you were thinking outside the box. It's yours, you can use it for whatever you want.

Don't let them get to you. :p You had a question, you asked it, and some of the replies did have some relevant info.

I'm a firm believer in asking questions. :cool:

16. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

ok, everybody here needs to go out and find a girlfriend! :p

17. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

The Black Cloth is in fact a `prop' to be placed on the owners head before he sentences his iMac to death(!). For example .. "If you dont buck your ideas up Mr.Mac.. then its back to the shop for you", etc.

Its simply a money saving device from AppleCare.

Try the `black cloth on the head' threat first BEFORE ringing tech help!

OR it could just be for screen cleaning.

:rolleyes:

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

19. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

If you have a Radio Shack near you they have a pretty good selection for rather cheap. I bought a black one from them for less then $10.

20. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i found a black one, nice looking one too at ikea for 99 cents

21. Gerard. macrumors member

I use mines as a mousepad, even though i knew it was for wiping down the screen. It is actually working really well. And Yes, it does have two different textured sides. When you flip it over, one side it slides all over the place when you use the mouse on it, and the other sticks quite firmly.

22. je1ani macrumors 6502

My friend was using it as a mousepad and I was like WTF!

23. JAT macrumors 603

You people use mouse pads? Wait, is this an old thread from 1999?